Why is it called nFunsterStil?

Started by
8 comments, last by DigitalDelusion 18 years, 9 months ago
I was trying out dev-c++ and I noticed they call the nCmdShow variable nFunsterStil... I was just curious if there's any deep meaning behind using this name?
Advertisement
In German, "Window style" would be "Fensterstil". I would assume that name comes from a German derivative.

edit - was quote-crazy.

[Edited by - Dave Hunt on July 1, 2005 10:09:35 AM]
Yes. But still strange: usually, nCmdShow sets whether to show (SW_SHOW) or hide (SW_HIDE) a window; not its style. Well, in some bended way it can be considered to be a style I guess.

Greetz,

Illco
I've always wondered that too. ;)
Well, I guess technically, minimized, maximized, normal, etc. would be considered styles.
Quote:Original post by Dave Hunt
Well, I guess technically, minimized, maximized, normal, etc. would be considered styles.

Maybe thats the misconception, because those are all identifiable as window states not styles.
[grin]

This is from a book on windows programming that i own, titled Programmera Windows med C/C++ by Jesper Ek and Rasmus Ekman (written in swedish).
Quote:
int WINAPI WinMain( HINSTANCE hDennaInstans, HINSTANCE hTidigareInstans, LPSTR lpszArgument, int nFunsterStil )

Note that Window style is Fönsterstil in swedish, but since compilers won't like the letter ö, Funsterstil is used instead. [grin]

And yes, it is crazy to translate nCmdShow to nFunsterStil. nVisningskommando would have been a better translation (if it should be translated at all).

Stay sharp.
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
Quote:Original post by staaf
And yes, it is crazy to translate nCmdShow to nFunsterStil. nVisningskommando would have been a better translation (if it should be translated at all).

Wouldn't 'nVisa' actually reflect the original intent better?

Anyhow anyone coding in anything but english should (in most cases) be taken outside and shot, I just hate reading sourcecode where the variable names uses another language than keywords.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
Coding with variable/function names/comments that aren't in English is BAD imho. Why? Noone understands your code if you need help with it, and the same goes if you start building a game/app and later on try to find someone to help you.

I code myself in English, while Dutch is my native language.

Toolmaker

Also like it or not english is the de facto language of our chosen profession and the more exposure to it we get the more fluently we'll interact with our peers. I've reached a level where I *think* in english when it comes to programming and trying to explain it using my native tounge (swedish) requires me to translate my thoughts.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement