Sign in to follow this  
Ketchaval

We are all made of stars... + lego, atoms

Nutty idea. I was thinking earlier today about things changing into other things today, and thought that in games when a creature dies it just vanishes, its body doesn't return the nutrients to the soil. Likewise, when you make a wooden object you can make either a cupboard or a chair, but you don't REALLY make a chair the game just produces something in the shape of a chair and gets rid of some resources. Whereas in the real world everything is made up of atoms and molecules, and you can do whatever. So what if you had a game where there were basic materials, that could stick together in different ways then take apart and reassemble into another object. Kind of like Lego. Ie. You can stick together several blocks to make a stone table, or you could make a bridge. Spore does something like this, by using predefined part types, ie. building skeletons with bones. Now what if this Lego was made up of smaller bits of lego, ie. the basic parts are made up of lots of smaller bits. In this case the player can deform the structure and chip away at the wood / metal / stone etc. Taking it further still, you could define the properties of each bit of lego, ie. how much fuel it provides in case of fire, density, buoyancy, etc. And this would allow for things like hydrodynamic simulation (I guess), and modelling fires. Obviously it is unnecessary and counterproductive to the current types of games that we make, and it would be more advisable to K.I.S.S Thoughts?

It's a neat idea but I don't think it would add to fun, and if it did it wouldn't be enough to make it worth it. However, the building of your own buildings is a good idea, and it is not new, either.

Heh. It sounds like you want to take a job (building game world objects) that is daunting and make it 1000x more daunting. I don't follow how turning something that can be built with a few hundred polygons into a massive mess of tiny parts is going to accomplish any positive goal.

I suppose you could break stuff apart when it gets whacked or cut, but that's like building the earth clunk of dirt by clunk of dirt, just so you can dig a hole. It would be much easier to code an algorithm to make the polys do that task.

My thoughts: Utterly, utterly unfeasible with today's machines.

In the future? Who knows, although even with the advent of physics cards it will be some time before we can compute a many-body problem of this sort of magnitude with any degree of accuracy in realtime.

I'm also inclined to agree somewhat with Jiia - this would also make content creation incredibly, incredibly complicated and slow.

For the forseeable future, we're better off 'faking it' rather than trying to model it at this level of detail.

As an actual mechanic I think we're decades away from something like this. However, it might be possible to get the spirit of it by fudging the system a little. Refine and automate certain processes, so that if you're shy some stone, your little guys might come up with some Rube Goldberg wooden contraption to take the place of that pillar.

Clonk Planet (I'm playing it now, so I reference it all the time) uses numerous resources, all of which are naturally occuring. You can't always dig enough iron, though, so you'll have to buy it with gold. So something that costs 3 iron and two wood turns out to cost two wood, one iron and ten freaking gold. If you make it possible to substitute materials, and perhaps more importantly reclaim them from structures that are demolished, then the idea of component parts comprising all matter in-game could be pushed home.

Rubble as a result of demolition or mining is a big Clonk thing. You can sell the rocks you don't need for cash, and surplus wood can always be used to fuel your power plant, but you have to deal with a pile of boulders every time you blast through a deposit of granite. This also leads to avalanches and good catapult ammo.