Worrying over choices?

Started by
4 comments, last by Beige 18 years, 9 months ago
Maybe characters in games should worry more about the choices they make, ie. whether they have done the right thing and whether they should reverse their decision. Is this a good course of action? Or not? No, I think it is.
Advertisement
edit: see below
Come to think of it, you already do this all the time in every game:

You try and make the right decisions, and if you mess up, you try to undo it. I don't see why (how) you'd center a game around this.
Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller
Come to think of it, you already do this all the time in every game:

You try and make the right decisions, and if you mess up, you try to undo it. I don't see why (how) you'd center a game around this.

Well, what if the game had the NPCs asking the player if they were sure that a decision was right, or the character asking himself if they thought it was?
Yeah well, in many RPG's, if the player is given a choice it's fairly obvious what the "right" one is; all the player has to decide is personal gain vs. being a nice guy, or doing the right thing to get a handy object or fulfull some scripted plot. Having the character angst about it probably wouldn't change their mind.

Of course, what might be fun is something like KOTOR's lightside/darkside-ness, with internal monologue. You're good and you do something evil, you angst. You're evil and you do something evil, you gloat. You're good and you do something good, you feel self-rightous. You're evil and do something good, you start to have second thoughts about your path in life.

Now, that might get fun and/or silly if people remember you, and keep their first impression of how good/evil you were. And if you start off as a paragon of goodness and suddenly decide to become a crime-boss, your trusty sidekick may be surprised.
-----http://alopex.liLet's Program: http://youtube.com/user/icefox192
Better yet, modify the dialogue options available so that they take into account the personality your player has developed from previous choices.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement