Sign in to follow this  

Continuting 2-D

This topic is 4547 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, shoot me if you want, I still love 2-D! I just got me Dreamcast back from my cousins house and I can't wait to play all of my 2-D fighters when I get a chance. I love hand drawn sprites, but I am realizing that may not (and I say that with the UTMOST reluctancy...) be the best way to go anymore, even with my beloved Street Fighter series. (sniff) But I have been thinking about something on and off for a minute...what a about cell shaded 2-D fighter? I think Capcom will put the next generation of 2-D games as cell shading. I mean, look what they did with Viewtiful Joe. Yes, it is 3-D, but it's a 2-d scroller! Also, if you know their pattern, they alway try a new technique with another game before applying it to the big money maker. For example, they started a new type of 2-D drawn sprites with the Dark Stalkers series before they brought out the Alpha series of Street Fighter games. Before they did the EX series (Street Fighter in 3-D), they did Star Gladiator. I'm realizing that through cell shading, you can do so much with 2-D. One game I want to play really bad is Alien Hominide. I mean, just from seeing the pictures themselves I could tell it was a beautiful 2-D shooter. Imagine doing a traditional shooter (like Ikaruga or Mars Matrix...) as a cell shading game. You'd get the best of both worlds. One example of this techinique that I like is the way they did Wind Waker for the GC. Yeah, I know it made some folks mad but the effects in the game were vicious!!! For example, the smoke in the game looked like it was 2-D at times! Imagine hitting that bomb button and you got an awesome 3-D/2-D affect with that type of smoke they used. I don't have a set up to do anything yet, because I have other things that are going on right now, but I'll try to keep a journal of my ideas (at least from a gameplay, design, and art aspect...) so when I am ready to seriously take game developing on, I'll be dedicated. Think about it...Street Fighter 4...cell shaded. Now that would be innovation!

Quote:
Original post by Shoutout33
Think about it...Street Fighter 4...cell shaded. Now that would be innovation!

A sequel, innovative? It's possible. Well, anyway I agree that it would be good to see more 2d games, maybe on the DS / GBA and PSP? The style of Alien Hominid*, Paper Mario and Okami look brilliant, and I'd love to see something that replicates these kinds of effects on a handheld. Although I'd prefer it to be less hard than I hear Alien Hominid is.

(Maybe an Alien Hominid meets Destroy All Humans game played like a Mario platformer?)

Quote:
Original post by Ketchaval
Quote:
Original post by Shoutout33
Think about it...Street Fighter 4...cell shaded. Now that would be innovation!

A sequel, innovative? It's possible. Well, anyway I agree that it would be good to see more 2d games, maybe on the DS / GBA and PSP? The style of Alien Hominid*, Paper Mario and Okami look brilliant, and I'd love to see something that replicates these kinds of effects on a handheld. Although I'd prefer it to be less hard than I hear Alien Hominid is.

(Maybe an Alien Hominid meets Destroy All Humans game played like a Mario platformer?)

Ketchaval,

Why just the handhelds? To me, the handhelds, at least the GBA anyway, are the ones keep 2-D alive right now and not just fighters. With the newer handhelds, I think should also consider them for pulling off stuff like Alien Hominid because they are stronger machines. Not sure if I'd like Paper Mario, but I'd give it a whirl someday and I haven't heard of Okami, so I have to look that one up.

I guess what I am trying to say is create a next-generation of 2-D gaming and I think that these games as well as Viewtiful Joe can do it. Yes, I've heard that Alien Hominid is hard, but then, what 2-D shooter easy? Your purpouse in life, as a gamer, in 2-D shooters IS to die...a lot!!!! LOL! Imagine a 2-D beat'em up like the old Double Dragon series done as a cell shaded game. Now that'd be tight.

I admit, somethings wouldn't be new, but at the same time, the way you apply it, would be. What I like about the concept is that you can get that realistic flow to a game (like you would in a 3-D game) but retain the feel and playability of 2-D. I hope this makes sense. I have a lot of 2-D fighters, only one verticle shooters (Mars Matrix is the only one I have I think...), and no hack'n slash or beat'em ups. I would like to get some of the older games and study them to see how it would be done.

Okami (which is a 3d game using an ancient-scroll cell shading type effect).

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59189

I'd like to see more 2d games as well, but the general assumption is that the 'market doesn't support them' because everyone is interested in 3d exploration games like GTA. I'm not convinced of this, and hope that the simplicity of 2d games will help them come back into fashion. I mean which would you rather play with your kids, Mario and the 2d greats or some ponderous 3d game.

But this is what I am saying. I know that 2-D is not the choice anymore and in some ways I'm cool with that. I just folks to remember how we got to where we are and that the old dog still has tricks up his sleeve. This is the problem with gaming now, everyone wants to make the multi-million dollor game that looks like everyone elses instead of coming up with something new. One of the guys on G4 mentioned that was one of his issues...innovation. Heck, he even mention Alien Hominid in the same sentence! what does that tell you? It can be done, it's just a matter of how to do it.

This topic is 4547 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.