Sign in to follow this  
programwizard

Why won't this work?

programwizard    100
I am trying to compile a Win32 application using Cpp and Dev-Cpp. I only get one error when I try to compile, "parse error before `;' token". Dev-Cpp tells me that the error is in the last line of my CreateWindow function. I know a parse error is a syntax error, but I don't see anything wrong with my syntax. Here is my CreateWindow function. Can you tell me what is wrong? hWnd=CreateWindow( APPTITLE, APPTITLE, WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, 500, 400, NULL, NULL, hInstance, NULL); I wasn't sure how to put it in the scroll-box. Thanks!

moeron    326
I think that its on the last line because thats where the command ends. I don't think it means that the problem is with that NULL, I think its saying that there is a problem with the command that ends on that line. I could be wrong though..

programwizard    100
I've gone over my entire piece of code, APPTITLE was defined right, there wasn't anything wrong with CreateWindow, I couldn't find anything else wrong, and I still get the error "parse error before `;' token". Do I need to type something in other than NULL on the last line? Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Drew_Benton    1861
Your code is fine as long as you have something like:

#define APPTITLE "My Title"

I just copy and pasted your code into a dev cpp project and it worked fined compile wise. Check the lines before that statement and check to make sure your APPTITLE is defined correctly. Compilers aren't 'smart', they can mislead you will errors due to previous syntax problems. Good luck!

programwizard    100
I got it! I was ending #define APPTITLE with a ; now I'm getting a lot of linker errors, but i'm going to fix those later because ive been working on this problem for so long... thanks for helping everyone!!!

Zahlman    1682
There's another good reason in C++ to use const identifiers instead of #defines for constants; if there's a problem with the definition, the error will be flagged in the definition.

const char* APPTITLE = "My Application";