[java] Has there been any Java games submitted to the Element contest?

Started by
14 comments, last by Son of Cain 18 years, 9 months ago
Java can take you to a level Flash can't even dream of... no matter how much Action Script you can write, a high level language beats a script language. If Flash had an SDK like Maya has for MEL, it could be another story, but I think it has not (I'm not into flash, you can notice =).

However, there is always something to learn from other technologies... And Java really lacks a better scheme for deployment of online games. Perhaps the mime type for Java is not popular enough? Can Sun, or the developers, do something about it?

I believe that as soon as the quality of Java games improve (as it is slowly improving by now) the demand will also increase; the addicts will make Java popular, if they have a Java game to love and play ;)

Son Of Cain
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Advertisement
I know it is stupid to respond to a person trying to flame behind an AP but here goes. ^_^ I will not trade insults with someone who is not brave enough to log in. I have programmed in both dev environments(for years) and I can honestly say that java wins out when you are trying to get to the nuts and bolts of creating a complex game. But as stated by several subsequent posters the download size if much smaller for a flash game. And in the online world that is what ultimately wins out, not whether a platform is more robust.

As for listing the strengths and weakness that is for another thread, if someone cares to start it.
IIRC Flash does have an SDK, but its not free, and you have to "apply" for it, meaning they screen who they sell it to. I tried, because I was working on a vector modelling/player of my own at the time. It seemed reasonable to think that Flash would have some kind of SDK, like almost all other big software, at least VBA (for automation tricks). Maybe things have changed - that was almost 2 years ago.

As a side note I found a very early release of a SWF writer at sourceforge written written in C/C++. I haven't followed up at all as to if the project is still active, or if the release has become more stable. (worth another look? maybe).

L-
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Wow this thread has gone way off topic...

The reason Flash is dominant in relatively small online games has already been mentioned, though maybe not as explicitly as I will: Its simplicity.

Anyone can use Flash. You have to know how to program to use Java.

Flash is made for a very specific type of thing, whereas Java is much more generalized. Therefore, you can very rapidly make interactive content via Flash where it might take you considerably more time to make an equivalent project with Java. Of course, as the complexity increases, this tips the other way. That's just how things go.

All right, back on topic now, gentlemen!
Quote:Original post by Strife
Anyone can use Flash. You have to know how to program to use Java.

Not anyone can use Flash. I am a programmer and tried Flash; gave it a good honest effort. It's definitely for the artistically inclined. I could barely muster a deformed stick figure walking across the screen. As mentioned earlier, all the buttons give me a headache also.

I agree with BobV, but Strife means that is quite "easier" to learn Flash than Java. But that is off topic now, eh?

You guys who will submit to the Four Elements contest... is there a way to accompany the progress of your work? (maybe a project page at java.net =).

Let us cheer XDDD

Son Of Cain
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement