[java] Has there been any Java games submitted to the Element contest?

Started by
14 comments, last by Son of Cain 18 years, 9 months ago
Has anyone here enterred anything using java as the platform for the element contest (aside from the LWJGL)? Actually I don't think that LWJGL qualifies? [edit: I was wrong -- see later posts]. In anycase, good luck. This is the first time I've paid attention. But just curious -- especially if flash games come up winners sometimes. Java I think (IMHO) can compete with flash...I think. L- [Edited by - Lucidquiet on July 5, 2005 4:42:53 PM]
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Advertisement
I think Java can compete on equal terms with whatever language you may use to write a game; in this type of contest, the content is what matters the most, the usual constraints of a commercial project do not apply here. This alone increase the chances of a Java game being the winner :)

I didn't apply for the contest, unfortunately I don't have the spare time to gather members for a team and develop a decent game for the contest - but it would be very fun! I hope someone brings up a Java game or two, for the sake of the language :)

Son Of Cain

a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Quote:
Java I think (IMHO) can compete with flash...I think.

Are you serious? ... You've been around these forums for a while now and still post this uninformed babble?

Yes, I will be submitting a 4E4 entry. Yes, it will be in Java. Yes, it uses LWJGL (I'm pretty sure it qualifies). It is an FPS, in full 3D with hardware shaders and everything. Yes, it runs fast. When have you seen something like this done in Flash?
Quote:Yes, I will be submitting a 4E4 entry.

Aye, same here.

Quote:Yes, it will be in Java.

Indeed.

Quote:Actually I don't think that LWJGL qualifies?

If you read the rules, you'll see that the use of third party libraries is encouraged. Ergo, LWJGL is completely legal.

Quote:Java I think (IMHO) can compete with flash...I think.

Quote:In anycase, good luck.

To you as well.
- stormrunner
This might be trolling.. but it seems to me that you Optus don't think that java can compete with flash? Because I KNOW that java can hands down beat flash in most respects.
This might be trolling.. too.. but maybe you should get some reading and comprehension lessons Wrathnut. Optus was saying that the capabilities of Java surpass Flash by such a margin that to say they are on par with each other is insane.
Actually the Flash platform has got the Java platform beaten hands down in most areas when it comes to delivering online games. And that's not trolling. See if you can identify the strengths and weaknesses of both in a constructive discussion - might be interesting.

Cas :)
cas I think it's impossible for you to troll

Anyway, I would agree yes Flash is owning Java right now in the online game department, the size of the shockwave player download is miniscule compared to the JRE, deploys seamlessly via activex control, and has a huge base of reputation in current times. If I earnestly was programming an online browser-based game, (even though I love Java) I would seriously consider flash for all these reasons.

However, I'm aiming for an offline-3D game, so Flash isn't really viable for me.
Quote:Original post by Optus
Quote:
Java I think (IMHO) can compete with flash...I think.

Are you serious? ... You've been around these forums for a while now and still post this uninformed babble?

Yes I'm truly uninformed about Flash -- and will likely remain uninformed about Flash -- I don't feel a need or a want to learn Flash. So yes IMHO Java can compete with Flash... I think (that is knowing little to nothing about Flash). Based on on-line distribution of Flash games, and Java games, it is a little lopsided in favor of Flash games. So can they truly compete? At a glance no, but from an insider's standpoint yes. In a way that's like trying to convince a MS-dependednt world that Linux is a better OS.

Besides all I wanted to do by starting this post is to see how represented Java was in this upcoming contest. (Also, I was mistaken when saying that I don't think LWJGL qualifies...I read most of the contest rules, and didn't see any hardware support listed, but I went back resently and found that there is graphic card hardware on the judgin machines, sorry).
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Me me me me...my game is in Java.

I really like java. I also dislike Flash because it seems to be built for non-programmers. Too many f**king buttons and shit. Hurts my brain trying to learn Flash.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement