• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Null and Void

NeHe and CD's (Not a flame!)

This topic is 6583 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been wondering for a while, why do you (Jeff) bother sending people CD''s if they cause you so much trouble? You''ve said (as far as I interpreted it, at least) that they in fact cost your money, and most everything will cost time to do, so I assume that too. So, why do you bother? Is it an obligation you feel, or good old kindness , or do they actually make you money (I have an impression that is not true, but if it is, good for you )...
http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/

Advertisement
I believe he makes *a little* money off them, but not enough to justify the stress people are putting him under. They seem to expect him to have the same manufacturing and distribution power as Microsoft

I think he''s just doing it because he''s a real nice guy.

Guest Anonymous Poster

Isnt it a little odd that Nehe states that he makes absolutly no money from these cds? I find that hard to believe. He pays for the cds, & for some of the posting, and yet he makes no money at all? Silly if you ask me.

I think what he means is that none of the money goes into his own pocket... it all goes back to the site in one way or another.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Perhaps he hasn''t recieved payment yet.

In all honesty, I don''t make alot off them. Every time I have to buy more supplies it costs me roughly $300. I sell them for the same reason I run this site... To get people interested in OpenGL. It''s a great resource (at least I think it is), and if it makes me money fine, if not, fine. It''s not a headache for me to ship them, it''s just very expensive. The only time I get stressed out is when I have orders and I have no money to ship them. Not a big deal. Most people are good about it.

Hi NeHe!
You really don''t want to make money?
Hm, i don''t want to spent money to logistic-organisations.

Why don''t you put the complete CD on an internet-server.
- The complete directory structure, so anyone can download the
parts he is interested in - or as an iso-image for those who
have a good download-rate.

Doing so you could spend more time for your own, for your family,
or if you really want spending time in further tutorials.
Yeah, i think you are doing good work. So do that, what is
really interesting. I think burning and packaging Cds is quite
boring.

So all you internet-service-providers:
SPEND NeHe 700MB WEBSPACE FOR HOSTING HIS CD!

It should be possible that there is a place for it in the virtual world! Do it, spend it!

At 28.8k it would take me all of december to upload it {grin}.

At the moment CD's are going out the door pretty quick. I think the longest anyone has waited is about 4 days.

The stress is just me being unhappy that I can't get the discs out. I don't really want to let people down, when they wait longer then joe blow had to wait, I feel bad, that's all.

Downloading the disc, wouldn't work:

a) it would be duplicated more than it is now.
b) who wants to buy code when the could end up losing it in a
hard drive crash. Better to have a solid disc just in case.
c) people want alot of content, the CD offers that.
d) Other modem users would be excluded.
e) Some people like the discs graphics

So what are you guys hoping to get for xmas?

I had the chance to play around with an flat panel monitor at work. Pretty amazing. To bad I'll never own one

Edited by - NeHe on November 30, 2000 2:28:20 AM

Who says that you must upload it; i could be done by someone who has a good upload-rate.

And why shouldn't it work?

to a: i think you want everyone to get the files if he is
interested in OpenGL. You want to enjoy everyone in
OpenGL, don't you? You said it so often.

to b: to buy it? i think it should be for free, or not? i
(and others)only want to download it, so there are only
my online-costs (a lot of people already have a flatrate)
if you talk of bying you think to make it commercial, don't
you?
And when the files are downloaded there is no reason why i
shouln't burn it to a solid disc and put it an case.

to c: the content is not less if it is completely downloadable
in the internet. so the internet offers it too.

to d: they could still order the cd, only the amount of orders
you will get is lower. on the other hand, they could ask
friends with good download rates to get it.
And selective downloads could also be done with a 28.8k
modem.

to e: you said it: 'some'. the others are able to print out
CD-labels.

I don't want to criticize your work. You are doing really good work and you have one of the best OpenGL-Sites.
What i criticize is, that we should use the given possibilities, and the internet gives us the possibility to transfer data and a lot of people can access the internet. So why don't using it.

Best greetings to NeHe, i hope you understand me a little bit.

Edited by - Ninja on December 2, 2000 10:06:35 AM

I do understand what you are saying, and yes, uploading a disc to someone is feasable, but it''s not really something I want to do. I don''t want someone telling me they accidentally lost the image. I don''t want copies of it floating around the net, etc. If you want the disc, you should purchase it, and if you don''t want to purchase it, then you don''t have to. I make enough money at the moment to have one big contests per month, and perhaps a few smaller contests... If you''re worried that people are being deprived if they can''t afford the disc, they''re not. I don''t think there''s one person that has asked me for source code that has been declined. I wouldn''t expect someone to ask me for all of the source, but if someone want''s to know how something is done, they just have to email me. Information on my site is free and available. The CD is just a compilation of everything on a convenient, well organized disc.

I just purchased a $49 (US) compilation CD from CUJ. I could have downloaded all of the code, it''s all free on their site. That''s not the point though. I think the disc they are offering is an extremely valuable resource, I appreciate they work they did to produce the disc, and I have no problem paying for it. In total it will probably cost me close to $80 Canadian (taking into account shipping and exchange), when I could have downloaded it all for free. Plus most the code they have on the disc is freely available all over the net. Know what. I''m still buying it!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!