Sign in to follow this  
Ketchaval

Empathy for character's 'feelings'?

Jiia    592
The things that promote the empathy you're after are the same things designers aim for anyway. The goal is the connection between the player and his character. There are only certain things you can get away with. If the character falls in love, I seriously doubt the player will feel love. But if his loved character dies, the player may very well feel sadness and/or rage by sensing his character's loss.

There really are no tricks to accomplishing it. Your game needs to draw the player in, make them forget about real life, and completely absorb them into the story and gameplay. If your game is decently long, it probably has a much higher chance of messing with the player's feelings.

Inmate2993    222
This is the classic goal of all literature and it is totally possible. The trick is to get the player to emotionally invest themselves. The only way I know of to get them to do this is to make the characters seem human themselves, or express certain human qualities.

Example. Physical pain, I.E. losing 20HP, will only get a "OUCH!" response out of a person whose watching. Like a kick to the nuts.

Emotional pain (with proper reason) will get the corresponding emotional reactions from the target audience member, assuming they're capable of that. Some people just suck.

iNfuSeD    128
when i watch "rise of the mushroom kingdom" and it's at mario's funeral... i almost cry. i feel luigi's pain.
this is how you create empathy :)