Sign in to follow this  
Slaru

OpenGL Changing the pixel format

Hello, Is it possible to change the pixel format (so I can change number of multisampling samples) under windows without invalidating the rendering context? After reading some documentation, it looks like I can't do this. Can this be confirmed? Also, when the rendering context is deleted, all textures and other OpenGL data is destroyed too, right? I am asking this because I am writing the code that encapsulates the creation of a window for OpenGL usage. I had planned for the functionality to change the number of samples used in multisampling, but this requires changing the pixel format. Slaru

your correct, to change the pixel format you must destroy the rendering context, this is because the multi-sample buffers are an intergral part of the rendering context.

And when a rendering context is deleted all non-shared resources linked to the rendering contest should be deleted. I say should be cause its possible that due to driver bugs or even by design, resources might not get freed. Also, as hinted at, resources which are shared between rendering contexts will remain valid as long as one context exists with the data shared to it.