Sign in to follow this  

boost::serialize with stl vectors of polymorphic non-boost smart pointers

This topic is 4548 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

That was a mouthfull. Anyhow, are any of you using the setup in the subject? [edit] problem was mentioned prematurely and solved on my own, however I am still interested to see who uses this setup... [/edit] Thanks! [Edited by - Chris81 on July 1, 2005 11:01:50 PM]

Actually, I just noticed that this stack trace isn't even dealing with the stl vectors yet. This is still Pointer<Mesh> which has vectors inside of it.

So the problem only involves the use of the non-boost:shared_ptr smart pointer.

Stupid question, and posted way too soon. I really need to work on that patience thing...

Anyhow, I forgot about having to implement RTTI to use boost::seralize. Problem solved.

I just wanted to add to this thread, now that I have used it a little bit, that boost::serialization rocks! It works like a charm, pointers and all!

However, since I'm relatively new to C++ I almost feel like I'm missing out by not having to code all that stuff by hand. Obviously I wouldn't code something as sophisticated as boosts implementation, however I would learn a lot by doing my own scaled down serialization.

This raises the age old debate - reinvent the wheel for learning purposes, or use the existing wheels and invent the car?

This seems especially prevelant for a new C++ coder using all the features of boost.

Like, can you invent the car when you don't know how the wheels accomplish their task? I know you can, as long as you know how it's supposed to work. For example there are a lot of programmers out there using VB who have no idea about finite state machines, adders, flip-flops, memory registers, and the thousands of other technologies that make the computer work. However he may be able to create a very useful and sophisticated application.

However, at what point does this end...okay, my brain is twisting into a knot...no more philosophical talk for me, time for bed.

This topic is 4548 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.