• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dez

DirectX 8 Tutorial

This topic is 6411 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I''ve been trying to get the DX8 "Meshes" tutorial to run, but I keep getting errors: --------------------Configuration: Meshes - Win32 Debug-------------------- Compiling... Meshes.cpp C:\MSDEV\INCLUDE\d3dx8math.inl(1107) : error C2065: ''sqrtf'' : undeclared identifier C:\MSDEV\INCLUDE\d3dx8math.inl(1107) : error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function C:\MSDEV\INCLUDE\d3dx8math.inl(1239) : error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function C:\MSDEV\INCLUDE\d3dx8math.inl(1384) : error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function C:\MSDEV\INCLUDE\d3dx8math.inl(1554) : error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function Error executing cl.exe. Meshes.obj - 5 error(s), 0 warning(s) What is wrong with this? Is it the version of C++ (MS Visual C++ 4) or is it something wrong with DirectX? I''d really like to know why this is happening to me, and (from what I can tell) only me...

Advertisement
Hit project, setting, link tab.

Make sure you have the following libraries in the object/library models box:
d3dx8dt.lib d3d8.lib d3dxof.lib

Also, make sure "include " is at the top of the file or is in the header file for the file that is creating the error.

You may want to think about upgrading to studio 6. . . it really has no bearing on this particular issue, but it will allow you to load .dsw files that come with the SDK, which will include all of the correct libraries for you.

Hope this helps.

DmGoober

Guest Anonymous Poster
I got the same errors when I tried some of the samples. I was also using VC++4.0. I don''t think that it has the sqrtf function just the sqrt and sqrtl functions. Some others posted the sqrtf function that you could use, d3dx8math and the sqrtf function. I haven''t tried it though, as I have an introduction version of 6.0 and have been using that.

"I kinda think, therefore, I kinda... am?"

I´m not 100% sure, but I´read in the DX8.0 docs that you need at least VC++5.0 "Upgrade 3 " to work with it.There´s an internet direction where to get the "Upgrade 3" where it says that.I´ll serach for it in the COMPILER "stuff" of the docs.I´m afraid you won´t be able to work with VC++ 4.0 Sorry =(

What the hells!

Thanks everyone, I couldn''t get it to work though.

I''m going to put DirectX "on the shelf" for a while, and practice some other stuff for a while... Until I get a newer version of VC++... Anyway, thanks again.

Hi you,

I don''t know if I miss the point, but I think you''ve got only to add a

#define sqrtf sqrt

in your math.h or somewhere else BEFORE INCLUDING the d3d.h.

What do you think???

Bye,
Michael

quote:
Original post by michiwalter

Hi you,

I don''t know if I miss the point, but I think you''ve got only to add a

#define sqrtf sqrt

in your math.h or somewhere else BEFORE INCLUDING the d3d.h.

What do you think???

Bye,
Michael

sqrtf uses floats, sqrt does not

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!