2d engine update

Started by
6 comments, last by JohnHurt 18 years, 9 months ago
Okay, I thought I'd throw another demo at you to see if you can crash it! Still early days yet, but I've added some GUI widgets (a close button!) and made the move to full screen. The particle systems are messed up to begin with, but settle down after a few seconds (this is due to my timing code). Anyhoo.... Here it is
Advertisement
I'm lovin' these demos. The gui is looking and working great. It also doesnt crash anymore with my gfx card.

Keep up the good work [grin]
Whiz_Kid
--------------------------------A man of few words does not mean he does not have big ideas
Being stuck at poor paying jobs, or no job at all, these demos just don't work on my old system which has no graphics card.

Catch you around
BladeStoneOwner, WolfCrown.com
Quote:Original post by BladeStone
Being stuck at poor paying jobs, or no job at all, these demos just don't work on my old system which has no graphics card.

Catch you around

Sorry to hear that mate. [crying] I don't really now what kind of minimum system you need at the moment, just an OpenGL card.
The fire effects looks really nice, I noticed the fire textures do not seem to be generated pixel by pixel but still faded pixel by pixel? I guess that makes it a LOT faster to draw using hardware acceleration, and it runs very smooth on my system which is actually a bit old =) (specifications below).

One thing that made the smoke effect look a whole lot realistic was that the smoke textures which rotated about their own center also seemed to rotate around the center of the pillar of smoke, like real smoke, and the result looks awesome. Good job with that one!

I couldn't crash your demo and overall it ran very well, though it didn't swap back the update frequency or resolution of the monitor (which stayed at 800 x 600) when I pressed the close button, Esc or Alt F4, is it something that could be fixed maybe?

I have a small suggestion about the rain, the drops could have a little more transparency to look like real water, it's only my opinion though. After all, having them a bit emphasized like now is cool in its own way.

System specs.:
CPU: AMD 1.8 GHz
System memory: 512 MB RAM
GFX card: NVidia FX5200
Thanks for the comments

Quote:Original post by Jimmy H
The fire effects looks really nice, I noticed the fire textures do not seem to be generated pixel by pixel but still faded pixel by pixel? I guess that makes it a LOT faster to draw using hardware acceleration, and it runs very smooth on my system which is actually a bit old =) (specifications below).

Not sure I understand what you mean by that. Could you elaborate?

Quote:One thing that made the smoke effect look a whole lot realistic was that the smoke textures which rotated about their own center also seemed to rotate around the center of the pillar of smoke, like real smoke, and the result looks awesome. Good job with that one!

That's actually an optical illusion! All the textures in the particle systems rotate at the same rate, and it creates that effect some how.

Quote:I couldn't crash your demo and overall it ran very well, though it didn't swap back the update frequency or resolution of the monitor (which stayed at 800 x 600) when I pressed the close button, Esc or Alt F4, is it something that could be fixed maybe?

Not sure what this is, I'll look into my shutdown code.

Quote:I have a small suggestion about the rain, the drops could have a little more transparency to look like real water, it's only my opinion though. After all, having them a bit emphasized like now is cool in its own way.

I agree on this. The rain and the sparks are just placeholders at the moment until I figure out how to do strecthed textured quads. They're just lines at the minute. By the way, if you want them more transparent, go ahead and edit "rain.xml"! Change this line <m_fInitialColour_a>1.000000</m_fInitialColour_a> to something less than 1.00000

Quote:Original post by JohnHurt
Quote:Original post by Jimmy H

Not sure I understand what you mean by that. Could you elaborate?

I made a pretty wild guess about how the fire effect was created. It looked like the fire was built up by a lot of rotating textures, which were faded with an alpha value between every frame, so the edges of each fire particle becomes more transparent and after a large number of frames the texture is fully transparent. But the center is more intense and takes longer to fade away. It looked like each texture was of the same shape before it had been faded very much, so I guessed they were from the same image loaded in memory and not generated at runtime. Sorry if I was completely wrong though =)

I realize now it's also possible the whole textures/polygons are faded using an alpha value, and scaled to a smaller size, which gives about the same result.

Quote:Original post by JohnHurt
That's actually an optical illusion! All the textures in the particle systems rotate at the same rate, and it creates that effect some how.

Whoa, I was completely fooled by it, well that makes it even cooler in a way.

The unrestored resolution might be system specific because of my aged OS, I dunno.

I think the XML file for easily editing settings was very handy. Keep up the good work!
Yes, all the particles are drawn in the same way. However, the smoke particles get bigger whereas the fire ones get smaller.

Still looking into the shutdown bug. The problem is that I'm not explicitly restoring the original display settings, just detroying the window. I'll try to fix it soon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement