[java] Was Star Wars Galaxies really written in java?

Started by
16 comments, last by capn_midnight 18 years, 9 months ago
The title pretty much says it. I was reading part of Killer Game Programming with Java and it was mentioning games written in java and this was one of them. I looked up the system requirements and Java isn't one of them, but it may come with it or something. Any info? -Jake
Advertisement
definitely not. *maybe* some server side stuff is in java, but i've never heard anything about it.

edit: nope, i'm wrong. near as i can tell they use java for scripting stuff. don't know the extent of it though.
Quote:Original post by justo
edit: nope, i'm wrong. near as i can tell they use java for scripting stuff. don't know the extent of it though.

Basically the full game server-side is implemented using Java.
That's weird. You'd think, if anything, they'd write the server in c and the client in java for portability, not vice versa.

Of course, I'm saying that on the assumption that Java is slower because it's compiled at runtime- and that may not be true, from what I've heard.
Actually, since a server tends to stay running for a long time, you would think that a Java server would run very well... the longer it's running the more of a chance the VM has to optimize better.
I agree with the last words. And also since vm do goode job on removing garbage, it has less chance to be down because of memory leak or such. I also guess that they probably have a lot of money to invest in good server machines with a lot of ram an probably multi cpu, so I don't think that speed is much of issue there as it is perceived on our ordinary home machines with some poor p4 class cpu and ~512 meg ram as most users probaly have these days.
Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption uses Java as it's scripting language.
How would you use it as a scripting language O_o
I eat heart attacks
I believed they used the JAVA Native Interface (JNI) to allow them to hook the java code into an exposed interface for the game engine.

There is an article on Gamasutra discusing how they implemted this.
The funny thing.. is that this explains SO much.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement