Sign in to follow this  
Colin Mollenhour

problems w/sampling depth buffer values via texture

I've given up on directly accessing the depth buffer in a fragment shader as I no longer think it is possible (can't see how it could be done in <2 passes, but that didn't stop me from trying..). So, I'm trying to do it through a texture. I must avoid transferring across the AGP bus at all costs (I have an off-GPU way of doing what I want but 0-1 fps won't cut it, lol.) Basically I need to access the 24 values in the depth buffer surrounding the current fragment (5x5 w/ current in the middle). In my display, I use this to create the depth texture:
draw_object( &(models[0]) );	//draw the object, (need the depth buffer)
//GET THE DEPTH BUFFER INTO A TEXTURE
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, ZBufferTexture);
glCopyTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, 0, 0, iwinWidth, iwinHeight, 0 );
glCopyTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, iwinWidth, iwinHeight);

glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT );	// clear color buffer
//SETUP SHADER
glUseProgramObjectARB(p1);
map = glGetUniformLocationARB(p1, "map");
glUniform2fARB(map, getPixelWidth(), getPixelHeight());
draw_object( &(models[0]) );		//draw with shaders
glUseProgramObjectARB(NULL);        //set default shader  
The map variable is 1/window width/height. I hope to use it later to convert depth image coordinates to exact texture coordinates My vertex shader is very simple (no lighting needed at all):
void main()
{
   gl_Position = gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * gl_Vertex;
}
For now, if I could just render the depth buffer via the texture created, I'd be happy. Next I need to be able to index the surrounding values. So the fragment shader that (tries to) display the depth buffer:
uniform sampler2D depth; 
void main() {
   gl_FragColor = texture2D(depth, gl_FragCoord.xy);
}
It just shows the object in black.. What do I put for the coordinates of the texture? Will rgba all be the depth value? This is where I am really confused. I can render the depth buffer by changing the fragment shader to:
void main() {
    float dep = gl_FragCoord.z;
    gl_FragColor = vec4( dep, dep, dep, 1.0);
}
However, both methods are VERY slow (1fps on a 9800pro, 1280*512 window, vs. 600fps using default pipeline). Also, the second method doesn't help me since I need to access neighboring depth values. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've been working on this almost 12hrs straight, and searching google and forums like a mad man. (to bad the search is down currently here) Thanks, Colin

Quote:

draw_object( &(models[0]) ); //draw the object, (need the depth buffer)
//GET THE DEPTH BUFFER INTO A TEXTURE
glCopyTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, 0, 0, iwinWidth, iwinHeight, 0 );
glCopyTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, iwinWidth, iwinHeight);

First, the last two OpenGL calls are redundant, you should remove then. This should also give you a substantial speedup.

Quote:

It just shows the object in black.. What do I put for the coordinates of the texture? Will rgba all be the depth value? This is where I am really confused.

I guess one of your problems is that you're re-writing the depth texture for every drawn object. Just read it from the z-buffer after you've rendered all your models.
To read the 5x5 pixel areas from the texture, just apply the depth texture to a quad which occupies exactly the whole screen (this is easy to do with an ortho projection), then, in your pixel shader, the u coordinate of the center will be gl_FragCoord.x/(iwinWidth-1) and the v coordinate of the center will be gl_FragCoord.y/(iwinHeight-1). To find the u and v coordinate of adjacent pixels, increment or decrement u or v by 1/(iwinWidth-1) and 1/(iwinHeight-1), respectively.
Remember to turn off texture filtering during the process, or the fetched texture samples may be unexpectly averaged.

Hope this is what you're looking for, good luck!