Sign in to follow this  
Falling Sky

Generating a LIB file with DevC++

garyfletcher    250
Dev-C++ automatically generates a .a file that is used to link the .dll into the project when it creates the dll.

I've recently done this myself for the 1st time so feel to ask any questions..:)

Spudder    385
Lib files are for use within Visual Studio, the GCC compiler (which Dev-C++ uses) counterpart is the .a file as has been mentioned. AFAIK there's no tool to generate VS import libraries from GCC .a files although there is a tool to convert .lib files to .a/.def for use with GCC (Google reimp).

Deranged    668
Also newer Dev-C++(newer mingw) can support .lib(coff) and .a(aout? i don't really know), but it's not the same with VC++(lib only). I reccomend you get the free version of the vc compiler, and get an ide like code::blocks to make a .lib that can be used with both mingw and VC.

Drew_Benton    1861
Quote:
Original post by Azh321
I have the 2005 express edition for C++ but it doesnt alllow me to make DLL's, I guess thats not in the express edition

Quote:
Original post by Rebooted
You can make DLLs with the express edition. Do you have the platform SDK installed and the IDE setup to make native apps?

Rebooted is correct, take a look at my post here, it has instructions.