Starting with OpenGL

Started by
18 comments, last by James Trotter 18 years, 9 months ago
Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to using OpenGL (and game development in general, actually), and I have a few questios. I know this post would be better off in the Beginners forum, but I feel that more experienced people will be able to answer fastrer :D Anyway, here's my questions list: 1) In the OpenGL forum FAQ, there are links given to the BlueBook, and the RedBook. The BlueBook link doesn't work anymore, and the RedBook links to a manual for version 1.0 ...so, does anyone know where I could find updated versions of these two books? 2) I'm actually trying to develop a game with graphics close to commercial quality, so...I think i should use something past OpenGL 1.1 (I'm developing on a Windows XP). What would be a good manual (besides the one provided in the "Game Programming: Tricks of teh Trade" book)? 3) Are there any benefits in developing OpenGL games on a non-Windows platform? Like, getting the latest libraries or something? 4) Does anyone have a sample code to get me started with using OpenGL? (Yeah, I know there's NeHe's tutorials, but I think they're a bit outdated....but then again, I'm fairly new to this, so I just might be talking out of my ass here) Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by celestis_genesis
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to using OpenGL (and game development in general, actually), and I have a few questios. I know this post would be better off in the Beginners forum, but I feel that more experienced people will be able to answer fastrer :D

Posting questions in the wrong forum for your own convenience will make people ignore and/or flame you. Fair warning. I won't move your post this time, since a couple of these questions aren't quite "For Beginners"-level.
Quote:
1) In the OpenGL forum FAQ, there are links given to the BlueBook, and the RedBook. The BlueBook link doesn't work anymore, and the RedBook links to a manual for version 1.0 ...so, does anyone know where I could find updated versions of these two books?

They are, as their names imply, books. Try your local Barnes & Noble.
Quote:
2) I'm actually trying to develop a game with graphics close to commercial quality, so...I think i should use something past OpenGL 1.1 (I'm developing on a Windows XP). What would be a good manual (besides the one provided in the "Game Programming: Tricks of teh Trade" book)?

You should try clicking that "Books" link up at the top of the page.
Quote:
3) Are there any benefits in developing OpenGL games on a non-Windows platform? Like, getting the latest libraries or something?

Not particularly. Some graphics card manufacturers, such as SGI, release extensions that are not in the main core, but since they aren't widely available on consumer machines, they aren't particularly useful.
Quote:
4) Does anyone have a sample code to get me started with using OpenGL? (Yeah, I know there's NeHe's tutorials, but I think they're a bit outdated....but then again, I'm fairly new to this, so I just might be talking out of my ass here)

You're talking out of your ass. OpenGL is a much more stable API than Direct3D; the tutorials most likely will not be outdated.
1) I haven't updated my bookmarks too recently, but both the Blue and Red books are in the 4th edition for OpenGL version 1.4, in case you didn't already know. A google search usually comes up with a few free online copies.

2) I'm not current on OpenGL books. I've been doing a lot more DirectX lately myself. I do know that Tricks of the trade is pretty good. Maybe someone else can recommend some other material for reference.

3) Haven't done much cross-platform programming, and I'm not sure I understand the question. Sorry.

4) Actually, NeHe would still be a great way to start, and even if you get through it quickly it's a good way to refine the basics. No matter how outdated a spinning triangle seems compared to the latest graphics engines, you always have to start with a blank window.

Good luck. I wish I could give you more information.
Quote:Original post by celestis_genesis
Hello everyone,

Hi.

Quote:
1) In the OpenGL forum FAQ, there are links given to the BlueBook, and the RedBook. The BlueBook link doesn't work anymore, and the RedBook links to a manual for version 1.0 ...so, does anyone know where I could find updated versions of these two books?

A google query would have solved this. Here are some links that I found:
http://www.opengl.org/documentation/blue_book_1.0/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201657651/ref=pd_sxp_f/103-0550504-2139847?v=glance&s=books

I don't own the blue book, so I can't comment on it. However, the red book is a very good resource if you're using OpenGL.
There is yet another book, The OpenGL Shading Language. It is a very thorough reference for glsl. I would not recommend this book until you are very familiar with OpenGL.

Quote:
2) I'm actually trying to develop a game with graphics close to commercial quality, so...I think i should use something past OpenGL 1.1 (I'm developing on a Windows XP). What would be a good manual (besides the one provided in the "Game Programming: Tricks of teh Trade" book)?

The quality of the graphics do not essentially depend on which version of OpenGL you are using. In my opinion, it's got more to do with the quality of the game content.
Newer versions of OpenGL allow for a lot of functionality which can prove useful. You can still access this functionality through OpenGL extensions.

Quote:
3) Are there any benefits in developing OpenGL games on a non-Windows platform? Like, getting the latest libraries or something?

Not quite. You would probably have to access new functionality through extensions anyway.

Quote:
4) Does anyone have a sample code to get me started with using OpenGL? (Yeah, I know there's NeHe's tutorials, but I think they're a bit outdated....but then again, I'm fairly new to this, so I just might be talking out of my ass here)

I learned OpenGL from NeHe. It is a very good resource for beginning OpenGL.
Also, I recommend the OpenGL Programming Guide ("the red book").
Quote:I'm fairly new to using OpenGL (and game development in general, actually

Quote:I'm actually trying to develop a game with graphics close to commercial quality, so...

ERROR
ERROR

Your post sound like you want to start programming OpenGL without even learning the basics, just go with the advanced stuff.
That definitelly won't happen :-) A lot of people think they want to skip the basic stuff and just work on a commercial game product (including me when I was learning OpenGL :-). But take my suggestion and start with the basics at NeHe.
The tutorials are NOT outdated, as said earlier, OpenGL is a stable API. Furthermore, you won't have anything other than OpenGL 1.1 on a normal Windows PC - even with Windows XP. It's the Gfx Drivers, that add several extensions to the standard 1.1 API but read more about this on NeHe ;-) But keep in mind, that OpenGL is all based on extensions, while DirectX usually is available in a whole new release as soon as important features are added to new Hardware.

Starting with OpenGL is a good choice, though. I find the OpenGL API being more straight forward than Direct3D, though, when you're familiar with OpenGL it's not so hard anymore, to switch to Direct3D and vice versa, though the other way round might be more difficult for a beginner...

As said earlier in this thread, the reference books are available in newer versions. You might want to buy them and hold a "real copy" in your hands or just download them over the net. They are free and available from various sources: Use google on this!

So now: Go to NeHe's page and start off, putting your idea into code ;-)

Hope this helps...
ZMaster

EDIT: Sorry forgot... Here's something to read for you:
Ultimate Gameprogramming
Gametutorials
NeHe definatly. Just start on the easy tutorials and work upwards. Some good sites are also:

Game Tutorials
(Unfortunatly it was a lot better when the tuts were free)

Ultimate Game Programming

EDIT: Make sure you are up to scratch with C++, otherwise you will be in a whole new world of s**t.

Quote:Original post by ZMaster

EDIT: Sorry forgot... Here's something to read for you:
Ultimate Gameprogramming
Gametutorials

Bumgrapes.

------------ "Here lies a toppled God,His fall was not a small one,We but built his pedastle,A narrow, and a tall one" Frank Herbert (Dune:Messiah)
hey i got some tutorials for people new w/opengl. click on my sig. :)
How about starting OpenGL 1.5 + GLSL on Linux and Windows? I'm especially interested in Linux.

Where can I find OGL headers and OGL precompiled libraries, samples, tutorials, etc. Also I have ATI card.

Another nameless person in the virtual space...
Quote:Original post by NamelessTwo
I'm especially interested in Linux.

Where can I find OGL headers and OGL precompiled libraries, samples, tutorials, etc. Also I have ATI card.

It would depend on your distribution. Usually the OpenGL and GLU headers are installed in /usr/include/GL. If you're running X, then it's likely that they're installed. In Debian, for instance, the headers are included in the xlibmesa-gl-dev and xlibmesa-glu-dev packages.
Otherwise, the ATI drivers should install the necessary libraries and headers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement