Blend Render States vs Texture Stage States

Started by
2 comments, last by SiliconMunky 18 years, 9 months ago
The dx sdk documentation is a big vauge about the differences between the blend render states and the texture stage states. The renderstates i'm reffering to are D3DRS_DESTBLEND D3DRS_SRCBLEND D3DRS_DESTBLENDALPHA D3DRS_SRCBLENDALPHA and the texture stage states are D3DTSS_COLOROP D3DTSS_COLORARG1 D3DTSS_COLORARG2 D3DTSS_ALPHAOP D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1 D3DTSS_ALPHAARG2 To me it seems like conceptually there is some overlap between then. Could someone shed me some light on these two topics please? Thanks,
Advertisement
The texture stages define how your polygon will be shaded, layered, whatever. How it will be build as a solid polygon. Blend modes define how the resulting polygon will be composited in the framebuffer (alpha, additive, etc...).
Praise the alternative.
Thanks, I'm started to understand a bit better now. I'm curious about how a vertex's color will effect the the rendering, and how the alpha component of the vertex plays a role.
I beleive the vertex's color is passed into the texture stage 0 as D3DTA_CURRENT. Is this correct?

Edit:
Thanks, I got my point sprites blending the way I want them to, thanks again!

[Edited by - SiliconMunky on July 2, 2005 5:07:19 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement