Sign in to follow this  

[web] Building a webbot

This topic is 4548 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My questions. 1. How hard is PHP/Perl to learn. Assume that i know a bit of C++, a lot of VB/Vbscript, a little bit of java and quite a bit of javascript, and the rough idea of lisp. 2. How hard would it be to code something so it could parse post data correctly? 3. How hard would it be to use vb6 for CGI? 4. If worse comes to worse, could i use perl to set up a socket to connect to my app? Or wouldn't that be allowed? From, Nice coder

Quote:
Original post by Nice Coder
1. How hard is PHP/Perl to learn. Assume that i know a bit of C++, a lot of VB/Vbscript, a little bit of java and quite a bit of javascript, and the rough idea of lisp.

Pretty easy - Perl has a lot of strange features, but you don't need to use them all. Its syntax is similar to shell script with a bit of C and basic thrown in, with some of its own syntax too.

A lot of perl programs use regular expressions though - but you don't need to use them

Quote:

2. How hard would it be to code something so it could parse post data correctly?

I don't understand why a web bot would need to do that, but very easy, as there are already libraries to do it (and even if you wrote your own, it's dead easy anyway). I'm assuming and x-www-urlencoded form here.

Quote:

3. How hard would it be to use vb6 for CGI?

Very difficult. I investigated this a few years ago, and came to the conclusion that it's more or less impossible to use stdin/stdout in VB - you can't normally get the linker to make a console subsystem exe anyway (which breaks stuff before you even start).

One option is to create an ActiveX automation object in VB and call it from Perl or VBScript (in ASP) - or CSCRIPT for CGI (which is possible, I think, if you can persuade it to omit its normal rediculous header message).

Quite why you would want to is beyond me - surely you can do everything you want in either C++, C# etc, more easily, or use VB.NET if you're totally insane.

Quote:

4. If worse comes to worse, could i use perl to set up a socket to connect to my app? Or wouldn't that be allowed?

Yes it would work, but you wouldn't want to.

Mark

This topic is 4548 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.