Sign in to follow this  
Mizipzor

Convert from std::strong to char*

Mizipzor    247
My log class takes a char* but since I want to put in a little more than just text a stringstream was easier; std::stringstream asd; asd << "this went wrong " << "error"; Log::Write(asd); But there it complains about the third line, "cannot convert parameter 1 from 'std::stringstream' to 'char *'". How do I do that conversion? Or is there some better way to do it?

Oxyd    1157

Log::Write (asd.str ().c_str ());

I suppose...

I'd make the the Log class work with std::string instead of char *, though... Using char * is painful and, in most cases, should be avoided.

Oxyd

Mizipzor    247
I guessed that but then I get:

cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char *' to 'char *'

[edit] The log class is taken here from gamedev, the function that performs the writing looks like this:

/************************************************************
This is a static function that actually writes a line in the log.
It flushes the log after every entry so that in a crash, the
log file will have the info it needs.

Input: line to log

Outputs: writes a line to the log file
************************************************************/

void Log::Write(char* input, ...)
{
va_list arg;
va_start(arg, input);
if(log_file)
{
vfprintf(log_file, input, arg);
fprintf(log_file,"\n");
//be sure to flush the file so that the info gets to disk
fflush(log_file);
}
va_end(arg);
}

I tried to convert it so it takes a std::string instead but I dont know what all the function does so I didnt edit anything.

ToohrVyk    1595
Since Log takes a char* instead of a const char*, this means that the function can modify the contents of the string. Because of this, you can't directly use the string returned by c_str( ), which must not be modified.

What you can do is create a modifiable buffer into which you dump the string data, and pass that buffer to the function.

char* buffer = new char[asd.str( ).size( )+1];
strcpy( buffer, asd.str( ).c_str( ) );
Log::Write( buffer );
delete [] buffer;

Oxyd    1157
Well - you'll probably have to make Log::Write accept const char * (second option is some kind of hackery with const_cast). It shouldn't make any difference, as long as you don't modify the string inside Log::Write.

EDIT: Your function should work fine, if you change it to void Log::Write(const char* input, ...)

Oxyd

Monder    993
I would recomend reading up on const correctness, the C++ FAQ lite has a section on it here.

In this case I doubt your Log::Write function actually modifies the string in which case you need to have your Log::Write function take a const char*, like Oxyd said. If you need a modifiable char* string from a std::string you need to make which ToohrVyk showed.