Sign in to follow this  
M374llic4

Best Way to get started.

I Have wanted to get in to game programming for about 6 years now, and have got 3-4 C++ in 21 days books, 2 "Complete game programming all in one" books. And various others. But everyone keeps telling me not to bother since i dont have enough math. I dropped out and got a GED. Though when i took algebra 1 I got A's, but never took algebra 2. So when ever i sit down to learn c++ and all, I think, Why bother, I cant do this anyways, I dont have the math. Now my question is, how much math is really needed? And do these books cover it enough for someone who hasent actually taken algebra 2? And do you need ALL of algebra2, or just certian parts? And are there any books out there that might help me with the math? I would Very much appreciate any help, as I need to learn asap. I just moved to florida and am going to start fullsail as soon as I get enough math. So I am trying to do what ever i can to learn it.

Quote:
Original post by M374llic4
Now my question is, how much math is really needed?

Depends on what you're going to do. You can do most things without much math knowledge at all. (And when you get to something that requires math, you can always look it up).

But the more math you know, the better. You'll have an easier time working out clever algorithms for different parts of the game.

But I wouldn't worry about that. You can definitely learn C++ without knowing much math. You can also use it to make at least some games.

I'm not familiar with your course standards (Like, what is Algebra 1? And exactly what is a GED), but I do know this: people in grade 7 can write games, 2D ones at least. I started writing games in grade 7, and now I'm working on an RTS. You don't need anything beyond basic algebra for simple 2D games like Pong, Tetris, Breakout, etc. The advanced math (calculus, trigonometry (which is quite easy, actually), matrices, vectors, etc.) is most used in 3D graphics, not only for rendering but for physics and collision detection as well.

So, the answer is YES, you can get started with very little knowledge of math, as you will learn the rest of it along the way.

I don't know what algerbra 1, 2 is because im from the UK but you dont need strong maths to learn C++.

Learning C++ just takes a little time and patience.

When getting into games using C++ you will need to know some maths, vectors, matrix etc. These are explained in most game programming books anyway (where I learn't about them). The book "Game Programming with DirectX 9" has a nice section on maths.

Trigonometry is something you will probably need to know. Alot of the maths you can learn when you need to use them.

Hope this helps :)

hey,

unfortunately...you do need a fair bit of maths for game programming. not to worry though...if you managed to get the basics of algebra (i dont really know what algebra 1 and 2 entail...) down, then you should be fine.

to get started, you need at least
+basic algebra
+basic trigonometry (vectors, sin cos tan etc..)

then as you get better
+linear algebra (matricies etc)
...and probably more...but i dont know what yet :)

there are plenty of relevant tutorials on the net, if your books dont explain it (got any old school books?) try

http://www.algebrahelp.com/lessons/equationbasics/pg2.htm
http://www.awesomelibrary.org/Classroom/Mathematics/Middle-High_School_Math/Trigonometry.html

and of course
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=28

also...learning by studying tutorials/others code is always helpful!

james

Psh posh.... I got a GED myself, I still suck at all the advance vector/matrix/whatever math.... But anything I needed to know how to do theres a tutorial or a decent explanation of it on the internet somewhere... I learned all sorts of stuff that I ever found I needed in game programming with relative ease.

Chances are if your interested enough in it you'll be able to learn what you need as you go....

The only thing about learning it as i go along, is I am going to be going to http://www.fullsail.com , a game programming school. And they teach linear algebra, calc and trig, but you have to have a minimum of algebra 2 to get in the school.

Here in the US algebra 1 is like solving basic equations, and things with fractions and the like. Algebra 2 gets into vectors and matrices. I wish i still had some old math books, but they always make you give books back at school when your done with them.

I suppose i can get started with c++ then. I mean, I am quite farmiliar with programming in general, i know alot of web scripting, like php, asp, javascript and the like.

But I want to get in to 3d programming. So one thing i should ask i suppose then is, is solving actualy equations nessecary for doing 3d programming, or just knowing formulas and plugging them in and such?

I wonder if i am to old to go back to the local highschool and sit in on some classes just to learn, even if i dont go to the school. I am only 19, so i figure i wouldent look too out of place : P

But i really want to learn all i have to in order to get in to fullsail, once i get in, and if i have enough basic math to keep up, they teach all programming, 2d, 3d, engine, everything.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone : )

Nice to be part of a forum that doesnt instantly flame you as soon as you post something you dont know.

Fwiw I didn't bother with the GED even, or rather I did and tests and I don't get along so well. *shrug* I have all the credits, close enough.

Math wise... learn as you need it; Vector math (as an example) isn't that bad and there are plenty of references floating about the 'net.

I took either pre alegbra or algbra1 and pretty much forgot all of it it's soo useful. *shrug* Granted, I'm not messing with physics and such like but you can manage well enough without formal training. I've had to dig up some math information but it hasn't been that bad. I did do a horrendously stupid trig problem that formal math classes (not just the geometry class in high school, which I've nearly forgotten all of) might have prevented. *shrug* Of course, it might not of, it was very obvious. (45° right triangle; with different length legs *cough* can't do that, of course.).

Most of my problems I believe stem from 21 odd years of being horribly wrong; Now that I've figured that out things are starting to fall into place. Regardless, the problems I've had, have not been math related and I don't thing formal training would have helped *that* much; Would have been interesting mind you, but such as it goes.

My point is simply, depends on what you are doing; If you want to make 3d engines from the ground up, you'll need a good understanding of various math disciplines. If you want to make games.. well, you may not need anything more advanced than 1+1.. It depends on what you want to be doing, and what you plan to be doing it in.

For what it is worth (=

Well i don't intend to discourage you , but Fullsail/Digipen have quite difficult courses/schedules. I ve read a fair number of students drop out from the courses there. So hope you have done your research on it & are ready for the ride. As far as math goes , yes , math is required , but it is something which you can pick up along the way.

I am quite aware what I am getting my self into. I have been planning on going to this school for at least 5 years. I just went for the full tour and all that, and cant wait to get started. I pick up things extremely fast, but need to hear it. I need someone to teach it to me. : \

it stands for General Education Deploma, its not quite the same as a regular highschool deploma, but still works for most things