Sign in to follow this  
warp X

STL question

warp X    192
Are there any articles or resources on the Web about using STL in game programming? I mean, when, or in which kind of situations one would use which containers and algorithms? Are there any books about this specific topic?

snk_kid    1312
Lets get one thing straight first, techincally there is no STL only the standard library.

Quote:
Original post by warp X
Are there any articles or resources on the Web about using STL in game programming?

Not that i've come across.

Quote:
Original post by warp X
I mean, when, or in which kind of situations one would use which containers and algorithms?

In general its just common sense, you need a container with some specific qualities you go see if the ones available match your criteria. Generic algorithms should be always preferred over explicit loop code on containers (including C-style arrays/strings and you can use them with it too).

some tips.

In C++ in general if you need a dynamic array use C++ style dynamic array std::vector/deque don't use C-style dynamic arrays.

In C++ in general if you need to use mutable strings prefer C++ style strings std::basic_string don't use C-style mutable strings.

Quote:
Original post by warp X
Are there any books about this specific topic?

I don't think there is an entire book specific to games dev, but there is a book on the standard library containers & algorithms. There is an article in one of the game programming gem series that shows the basics of it & using it.

[Edited by - snk_kid on July 2, 2005 2:51:37 PM]