Removing static from a sound clip

Started by
3 comments, last by krikkit 18 years, 9 months ago
How do you do it? Sorry I can't explain more.
Advertisement
I know one way done with Audacity:

-Load up the clip in Audacity
-Select a part that has mostly static
-Effects -> Noise Removal
-Click "Get Noise Profile"
-After it's done processing, select the parts you want the static to be removed from, and get back to Noise Removal
-Play around with the slider to find a setting that sounds good via "Preview"
-Finally, click "Remove Noise"

Most times, the preview is not going to help much since it only gives about a second's worth of sound, so you're going to have to remove noise and undo a few times.
A "de-esser" such as the free mda de-ess VST plugin can work. Essentially a de-esser is a specialized equalizer with a trigger. If you just equalizer bands of noise down, typically you'll eliminate some of the sound too. A de-esser allows you to equalize things of a certain volume or lower; since noise is usually not loud, but in an identifiable band, this method retains a maximum amount of audio.
http://www.zirconstudios.com/ - original music for video games, film, and TV.
Quote:Original post by zircon_st
A "de-esser" such as the free mda de-ess VST plugin can work. Essentially a de-esser is a specialized equalizer with a trigger. If you just equalizer bands of noise down, typically you'll eliminate some of the sound too. A de-esser allows you to equalize things of a certain volume or lower; since noise is usually not loud, but in an identifiable band, this method retains a maximum amount of audio.

I'd say static is nothing less than white noise... And yes - Audacity has noise reduction plugins. I haven't used them too extensively, but those times that I did use them, they managed to destroy more sample info than remove noise. Hopefully someone can suggest a better solution as I don't really know of any other free ones (I know ProTools has all the tools you'll need - although I've never actually used it -, but sadly it also costs more than a jumbo jet).
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
I use Cool Edit's noise reduction function with large degrees of success, but theres only so much it can do for you before you starts losing the integrity of your sample data.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement