New song

Started by
7 comments, last by Souljah 18 years, 8 months ago
While I have a hard time declaring any of my songs 'finished', I've just got a new one ready to be heard. I'm calling it "Into the Unknown." Have a listen at: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=292875&T I would appreciate any constructive feedback. Thanks.
Advertisement
That is awesome dude! Keep up the good work
Alright - I will try to come up with some constructive criticism. If you've read my comments on other's works before, you've probably noticed that I tend to focus on what could be improved (in my opinion) and do not always draw attetion to the good parts, so I hope you won't take offense.

Firstly - the synth. It's cheesy. There's ways to get rid of the cheesiness - mostly through spectral meshing - try to apply a paramentric equalizer to the synth. It's conflicting with other instruments anyway, so you might as well tone down the highest and lower frequencies a little and reduce the overall volume. Add some reverb - the synth is dry and sounds amateuristic. By adding some (be careful with the amount - your synth is really very strong unless you work on its spectrum a little, which I suggest you do) reverb you'll be able to accentuate the space it's in, plus you'll be able to glue many of the other elements in the mix together as well. The synth is an integral part of your song - it's the fabric that keeps everything else tied together - make it gentle (almost unnoticeable) and light - let the lead instruments do the hard part of driving the rhythm, the melody and the mood.

The distortion guitar - can't you just record it? It sounds fakeish... I don't know almost anything about guitars, so I'm just going on my ears on this one.

The percussive instruments - your drum track is, well, kind of boring, but it does the job (keeps a sense of rhythm). However, you're not using its full potential: the kick has no kick, the snare does not snare and the hats are way too strong for the rest of the drum line. Try this: do not image the bass kick (it sounds as if you're reverbing or, worse yet, stereo imaging the bass kick), which will take every last bit of muscle out of it. Make the kick centered and push its stereo to negaive max (that is, make it mono) - then add a boost to the lower frequencies to make it kick, not thut. Next normalize the volume between the hats, the snare and kick (possibly, pick another snare (and kick) sample - this one doesn't sound too good). The snare, if present, has the most important role to play in your song - it is the metronome to which all other instruments play. Make it stick out - especially in a rock song, which I'm presuming your song is, based on the choice of guitar. To hear these instruments in action, just listen to similar music and you'll get a sense of balance between the respective volume levels and frequency bands.

Your song didn't have a(n audible) bass line. I strongly suggest you add one.

Alright - I won't pick on you anymore :) - although IMO there's quite a few other things to pick on. Take these few pointers as suggestions only (you don't have to listen to me). And if I didn't mention the good stuff in your song, that doesn't mean it isn't there - it could just be a whole lot better!
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Crispy,
Much as I appreciate the feedback, by and large, I have no idea how to do most of your suggestions. I work with Cakewalk Express and a cheap general midi soundfont. I can probably balance volumes a bit better, and I'll tinker with a bassline, but you've lost me on everything else. I know my setup is lackluster, but it's all I can afford for the time being.
Quote:Original post by Wayward_G
Crispy,
Much as I appreciate the feedback, by and large, I have no idea how to do most of your suggestions. I work with Cakewalk Express and a cheap general midi soundfont. I can probably balance volumes a bit better, and I'll tinker with a bassline, but you've lost me on everything else. I know my setup is lackluster, but it's all I can afford for the time being.

i recognize that guitar sample of urs haha ... :)..
Quote:Original post by FlamingBoi
Quote:Original post by Wayward_G
Crispy,

i recognize that guitar sample of urs haha ... :)..

I recognize the whole song,but I don't know where it's from.Maybe it's new.

**MADD-P**
Nice. What'd you use to make it?
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Wow,the crickets are really chirping now.

...SOMEBODY UPDATE PLEASE!

**MADD-P**
Really like the Sanctum Aquae track, strings sets are very nice

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement