Sign in to follow this  
Wavinator

How should the world react to "unbreakable"

Wavinator    2017
"You've heard of stories of babies falling out of 3 story windows and surviving? Well... that's me... I just can't seem to die..." What should the in-game response be to a character who can take massive damage, but somehow miraculously can't die? I've made the inability to die except by special circumstances a central part of the game I'm working on. Because it's RPG-like, I was wondering about how the NPCs should react to the phenomeon of you always being able to survive. When you jump out of a window, or get blown up, or shot, the design is such that you always wake up in some hospital somewhere. You may find yourself in the hands of enemies, or a primitive frontier camp, but you're always nursed back to health.
How About Death Notoriety? This would be a notoriety / celebrity system. Each time you survive miraculously, the game takes into account witnesses and how you should have died. The more people see, the higher the attention rises. Death Flow The responses depend on how often the incident happens: 1x) Local human interest story -NPCs respond about how amazing it was that you survived, and how lucky / blessed you are. -You merit a minor article in the papers 2x) Local attention -"Amazing" responses mixed with curiosity questions -Lose money to police questioning (you want to get out of the hospital ASAP because it's expensive) -Increased invitations from mercenary groups because you're so lucky -Opportunities to get quick cash by talking to interviewers, reporters 3x) Widespread attention -NPCs show rising touches of fear / awe, altering prices, interactions and opportunities -Police questioning / counseling gets longer -One or two kooks may begin stalking you (may lower reputation, which hurts ability to climb the social ladder & get missions, unless you ditch them) -Several reporters & drones follow (lowers stealth because of attention unless you ditch them) -Truthseekers & zealots may begin showing up to either oppose or ally with you -Unsavory mercs may try to kidnap you & press you into service -You make the headlines, making any stealth / criminal activity extremely hard 4x+) Worldwide public attention -NPCs fear or are in awe or angry with you ("why are you so lucky?!") -Zealots may attack you randomly, depending on the region you're in -Shadowy research corporations begin trying to kidnap you so that they can experiment on you; if successful, you're subjected to stat-loss experiments, but given periodic chances to escape (made more likely if you have followers, btw) -Some small religious factions worship you as messiah, many larger ones condemn you as antichrist / devil / evil
Lowering Death Notoriety You can purchase a new identity, get asylum from the benevolent government ("witness protection program") or use the game's "skip time" feature where you park your character somewhere and fast forward years (but you have a limited number of years per lifetime). You can also choose not to lower notoriety, and instead build a religious faction of followers. However, the higher your death notoriety, the more likely you'll attract attention from nemesis characters who can kill you, sending you on to the next lifetime-- which may be decades or centuries away.

dbzprogrammer    100
Your story idea is absolutely amazing. You've designed what I can almost say is the ultimate game right here. You've taken all the senses. The adreneline, the wit, the jelous feelings. This game will be addicting. Not only (from what I can tell) do you have the fast pace combat of a first person shooter, you have the wit of trade, and with stealth, the quality to think about your next move. basically there's a part of the game everyone can truely enjoy. You have the amazing system right there. But you going a little too fast, and definately not far enough. You shouldn't just stop at level 4, you should go to amazing levels. Say at level 7, you may be the sworn enemy of governments, and the leader of others.

WeirdoFu    205
Actually, I think you need to take into consideration the cause of death. This situation in which you die may really affect how people see you. Also, the way you "die" will affect how witnesses talk about it.

For example, you you constantly die after saving someone, then people should fear you less. If you die from failing to save someone, you will gain hatred from the family members. If you die in a horrible manner in front of crowds of people, then people will grow to fear you.

Additionally, how would your system treat dismemberment? Say you come back to life through gradual regeneration, then which part of the body will regenerate if you were cut in half?

If dismemberment is taken into consideration, then the system can also use the number of deaths as kind of like a level up criteria. For example, the more often you survive or die from dismemberment, the more resistant you are to it. Say, if you almost always get an arm cut off, then the first few times you might just collapse on the spot, but later on as you get used to it, you should still be able to move around a bit after the injury. I guess what I'm trying to say is not exactly immunity to injury, but more resistant to their side effects on the body while you're still alive.

Spoonbender    1258
Hmm, interesting system.
I'd say maybe tone down #3 and #4 a bit.

No matter what, your character would probably want to try to keep it quiet, right?
And it'd take a pretty big effort to make it becom a widely known phenomenon. If you didn't actually see it happen, then won't you just say "Oh, the guy is just lucky", or "the newspapers are just sensationalists".

You'd have to *really* stir up some fuss if you want it to become widely known.

But instead, it might get noticed by a few people who are particularly interested in this. Of course all the people who believe in UFO abductions and other conspiracy theories would likely gather a huge file on you, trying to correlate info and track you down.

Maybe the military would spot it too, and be very interested in how you do it.
Maybe some religious fanatics too, like you suggested. And of course, a couple of reporters out for a big story too.

My point is just that it wouldn't become something everyone knows about, but just that the higher your "death notoriety", the more often people will succeed in track you down and, well, do whatever they want.

I guess I'd just get annoyed if ordinary NPC's kept talking about me like "that invincible guy". But it'd be cool to be tracked down by some crazy conspiracy theorist, or an FBI agent who wants to lock me up in a secret Government lab for experiments [wink]

I'm reminded of the first Highlander movie. When he gets that horrific battle wound, and still recovers, he's accused of witchcraft and banished. Depending on where you are, you could get some pretty ruthless responses.

If other "immortals" had passed that way, then there may be myths and superstitions about unkillable men. If your evil nemesis killed the royal family and walked out through a hail of bullets, then your resilience could get you the worst kind of attention. On the other hand, if they have a St. George legend of a warrior doing battle, being defeated, and rising again to save the day, then you could get a lot of respect and admiration by letting your little secret out.

I think you've done pretty well modelling the reaction to the "novelty" of the everman, but I agree that you might want to tone down the responses, or include some kind of big red button for when you're totally exposed. If you've "died" and been restored to health so many times that snipers follow you around shooting you in the heart for practice, and scientists kidnap you for testing every other weekend, then you should be able to ditch the personality and get a new identity.

Trapper Zoid    1370
I think you've pretty much captured the spread of opinion of NPCs to an unkillable character, although I foresee a hell of a time getting all that implemented (although if you do, please tell us about it, as I'd love to play it!)

One thing I'm not sure about is whether you intend your character to be immortal, in a Planescape Torment kind of way, so you can take an series of axe blows to the neck, bullet wounds to the heart etc. and survive with minor scars. Or whether you just intend your character to be extremely lucky; the bullets always miss, the blows never do any serious damage etc. This case reminds me of some of the war heroes like the Red Baron's younger brother Lothar von Richthofen, who tended to get into straight-on shooting matches with other pilots, crash a few times and spend heaps of time in hospital, but managed to survive the war (unlike his more famous brother). In this case the player can keep on surviving unless he or she tries to push their luck a little too far, and give them some sort of hint that this time they really could die: "One man against a thousand. Damn it, Captain Trapper Zoid, this time it really is suicide. I'm not kidding around here; you will die! Understand?"

If it's the former, and you really are immortal, then the game would be a bit like Planescape Torment, although in that case since everyone else in the game was weird and unique the player character kind of fitted in with all the other freaks and didn't stand out too much (if the rest of your party consists of a floating skull, a succubus and a floating burning man, a regular looking scarred guy who happens to be immortal isn't really going to cause too much of a stir).

Garmichael    115
Thinking religiously:

I kind of like the idea that people might start thinking of you as some sort of messiah or demon depending on a balance towards good or evil.

If you have a reputation as the reincarnation of Christ, any immoral action (regardless of its intensity) would hurt your reputation more than it would if you didnt have the Messiah status. Also, any moral high standing choise would be more likely dismissable as "He always does stuff like that, big deal".

Possibly, if you're known as a person who does bad things, yet still lives through accidents, then people start to fear you. Think: the Terminator. Make a moral decision, and its weighted heavy; make an immoral decision, and its no big deal. Maybe if you're uber bad and invincible, people start to assume you're the anti-christ and you're here to raise Hell.

Either way, I think itd be sort of nice if you could get a cult following. If you're famous enough, you're bound to get a fan club and maybe some worshippers. EDIT: Or maybe an army ;)

Jotaf    280
IMHO maybe it's a little bit too much attention. It's cool if you incorporate some of that into the game, but players are used to being "lucky" all the time. I mean, if you are the player, and you do all that, there must be something special about you. So if you explain everything as plain luck, it wouldn't hurt the immersion. Or maybe a character just gets killed every time he faces incredible odds, unliky most games and movies, and the player should get used to it. Maybe a mix of both :)

Inmate2993    222
It'd probably do better to have NPCs be reactive in general, like if I just had a fight on a rooftop, using the typical earth-smashing magic spells, that some of the villagers should have at least a "wow" to make. As for the hero's extreme luck, maybe the occasional screaming fan would make an interesting side-plot, but the NPCs would probably more know the player by name than by face.

In-Game Newspapers are always a good channel for making the player feel better about himself, if thats what we're really after.

TwilightAegis    122
Very interesting. I've read your site, and quite a few of your posts on these forums, and straylight is shaping up as an awesome game, even though you would prolly only be able to play it on a supercomputer. You should make a forum for straylight.

MSW    151
Sorry but this is a little confuseing...is the character just somehow surviveing, or are they actualy dieing - heart stopping, zero brain activity - then "magicaly" comeing back to life minutes or even hours later?

It makes a big difference!

Because unless the player character is already in the public eye (well known movie actor, chief of police, etc) then just being able to survive isn't going to get them much attention...I mean in our modern world people routinely get shot, fall off of buildings, get in high speed car accidents...and live...its not that big a deal anymore.

Even in the film Unbreakable...if train crash investigators were to recreate the wreck they would most likely show Bruce Willis character got extreamly lucky (rather then finding him superhuman) as they would work under the assumption he is a normal mortal man.

Course if they actualy died, then somehow popped back to life...well then people would take notice pretty quickly.

Wavinator    2017
Quote:
Original post by dbzprogrammer
Your story idea is absolutely amazing.

Crap. Now I'm jinxed! [lol]

Quote:

You shouldn't just stop at level 4, you should go to amazing levels. Say at level 7, you may be the sworn enemy of governments, and the leader of others.

Now this is interesting. It's the brass ring of MANY game designs out there to let you grow from a single individual into a great leader, but in an RPG there are some particularly nasty problems: Highest of them all is what on earth you're supposed to do now that you're king! You've got to be able to go out and do things like you did at level 1, but if you're a head of state and die falling off an enemy catwalk, it would be kind of weird.

Of course, the real question is "is it cool" and, if yes, "is it doable?"

Wavinator    2017
Quote:
Original post by WeirdoFu
Actually, I think you need to take into consideration the cause of death. This situation in which you die may really affect how people see you. Also, the way you "die" will affect how witnesses talk about it.

For example, you you constantly die after saving someone, then people should fear you less. If you die from failing to save someone, you will gain hatred from the family members. If you die in a horrible manner in front of crowds of people, then people will grow to fear you.

I like this but I think intent is too thorny a problem to solve. How does the game know you were trying to save someone? Do you just get penalized because they were in the room and died when you "died?"

Quote:

Additionally, how would your system treat dismemberment? Say you come back to life through gradual regeneration, then which part of the body will regenerate if you were cut in half?

This, along with being crushed, mangled, atomized or otherwise done in in a most unseemly fashion I completely skirt. I'm not going to be able to do CSG on the models, it's just too much. People will just have to marvel at the fact that you were at ground zero of a neutron bomb and got away with burns.

Wavinator    2017
Quote:
Original post by Spoonbender
No matter what, your character would probably want to try to keep it quiet, right?

At game start you don't know what the heck you are. As you develop the story, you'll start discovering that you're special and also that there are others out there who'd like to (in highlander fashion) steal your lifeforce energy.

So you only want to keep it quiet if you don't want to constantly deathmatch with the other corekeepers like yourself.

Quote:

What would this be? Dying on the White House lawn while trying to take down the President during his Inauguration?

Quote:

My point is just that it wouldn't become something everyone knows about, but just that the higher your "death notoriety", the more often people will succeed in track you down and, well, do whatever they want.

I'm all for making this simple, but I think mass media would be an interesting force to abstract.

Quote:

I guess I'd just get annoyed if ordinary NPC's kept talking about me like "that invincible guy". But it'd be cool to be tracked down by some crazy conspiracy theorist, or an FBI agent who wants to lock me up in a secret Government lab for experiments [wink]

About the annoying part: What would make you feel more in character and make the experience fun?

-What if you could tell people, "You've got the wrong guy." or "Dammit, get away from me, I'm not your freakin' messiah!" (and it would work)

-What if there were various disguises (the all over mummy-like robes of a Zen Gnostic; the holographic Ronald Reagan face that for some confounded reason all the youth find so popular?)

I guess what I'm trying to do is draw out uses for an planned system of stealth and recognition beyond just crime and combat.

Wavinator    2017
Quote:
Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
If other "immortals" had passed that way, then there may be myths and superstitions about unkillable men. If your evil nemesis killed the royal family and walked out through a hail of bullets, then your resilience could get you the worst kind of attention. On the other hand, if they have a St. George legend of a warrior doing battle, being defeated, and rising again to save the day, then you could get a lot of respect and admiration by letting your little secret out.

Nice! Actually, rather than just a Death Notoriety system for you, there should be yours and a general one, then.

Hmmm... but that would mean that notoriety and legends would partly be out of your control. So is the potential drawback of being penalized for dying (by greater world awareness that there are immortals) worth the unexpected variety that could come from the actions of your nemesis / other immortals? Hard to weigh.

Quote:

I think you've done pretty well modelling the reaction to the "novelty" of the everman, but I agree that you might want to tone down the responses, or include some kind of big red button for when you're totally exposed. If you've "died" and been restored to health so many times that snipers follow you around shooting you in the heart for practice, and scientists kidnap you for testing every other weekend, then you should be able to ditch the personality and get a new identity.

Do you think having to trade your limited life points (for this lifetime) in the form of years is a fair exchange once you reach the top levels of notoriety? The worst killer / most praised celebrity can go into hiding and fade from the public stage after a decade or so. So the game could just fast-forward while everyone forgets about you.

Wavinator    2017
Quote:
Original post by Trapper Zoid
One thing I'm not sure about is whether you intend your character to be immortal, in a Planescape Torment kind of way, so you can take an series of axe blows to the neck, bullet wounds to the heart etc. and survive with minor scars.

This is more what I see. You still receive damage from wounds, but can't be pieced or atomized by them; and where normal flesh should die of shock, or bloodloss, you don't.

Quote:
Original post by Garmichael
If you have a reputation as the reincarnation of Christ, any immoral action (regardless of its intensity) would hurt your reputation more than it would if you didnt have the Messiah status. Also, any moral high standing choise would be more likely dismissable as "He always does stuff like that, big deal".

Possibly, if you're known as a person who does bad things, yet still lives through accidents, then people start to fear you. Think: the Terminator. Make a moral decision, and its weighted heavy; make an immoral decision, and its no big deal. Maybe if you're uber bad and invincible, people start to assume you're the anti-christ and you're here to raise Hell.

Okay, thanks for this one, I like that your actions get weighted by the prejudice of what people think you are. I think if you're good and start being bad, it should be a huge shock; if you're bad & start trying to be good, people shouldn't trust you (being the prince of lies and all.[lol])

Quote:

Either way, I think itd be sort of nice if you could get a cult following. If you're famous enough, you're bound to get a fan club and maybe some worshippers. EDIT: Or maybe an army ;)

The cult and army idea fits so well with the overall concept of building up some kind of community (pirates? neurozombies? regulators?). But this possibility depends on being able to funnel this kind of gameplay through an abstract command UI that works with an RPG-like game. (No turning this into an RTS if it's to be done, unfortunately.)

Wavinator    2017
Quote:
Original post by Jotaf
IMHO maybe it's a little bit too much attention.

Just a question: Do you think it ramps up too quickly, or do you think in an RPG-like game it would be too much pressure to have to switch identities, deal with badgering, and possibly lose precious years (via fast forwarding) making it all go away because you died.

I need to remind you that I'm going with a "death is boring" no quicksave design idea, so if you find yourself dying a bunch of times, you're not going to be able to instantly back down your notoriety. On the other hand, where you die is going to make all the difference:

- If you die in the wastes/frontier where most of the action is, few see or even know, so you can get back into combat over and over without raising notoriety

- Death in most civilized environs should be naturally rare or covert because of the safeties of the environment (heavy weapon regulation, difficulty getting into dangerous areas)

Wavinator    2017
Quote:
Original post by Inmate2993
It'd probably do better to have NPCs be reactive in general, like if I just had a fight on a rooftop, using the typical earth-smashing magic spells, that some of the villagers should have at least a "wow" to make. As for the hero's extreme luck, maybe the occasional screaming fan would make an interesting side-plot, but the NPCs would probably more know the player by name than by face.

In-Game Newspapers are always a good channel for making the player feel better about himself, if thats what we're really after.

Sorry, I didn't quite understand: You're saying do this but make it more general? So that they comment on anything that's out of the ordinary?

Wavinator    2017
Quote:
Original post by TwilightAegis
Very interesting. I've read your site, and quite a few of your posts on these forums, and straylight is shaping up as an awesome game, even though you would prolly only be able to play it on a supercomputer. You should make a forum for straylight.

Thanks! I've got the forum planned very soon!

Quote:
Original post by MSW
Sorry but this is a little confuseing...is the character just somehow surviveing, or are they actualy dieing - heart stopping, zero brain activity - then "magicaly" comeing back to life minutes or even hours later?

It makes a big difference!

Oh, crap, you're right. [lol] If it's the latter, you're right, it's going to be seen as strange luck. Something is happening to you, though, such that you always end up in the hospital, stockade or somebody's sick room. That has to happen or you'll just start jumping off of cliffs & such for no reason.

What I'm thinking happens is that you should die, but you black out (this explains the time lapse, possible looting of your stuff, and how you're dragged around without your say so).

However, as mentioned above, the manner of death is important. The sole survivor of a train wreck is one thing. The sole survivor of a nuclear bomb blast might be another.

las6    175
Quote:
However, as mentioned above, the manner of death is important. The sole survivor of a train wreck is one thing. The sole survivor of a nuclear bomb blast might be another.

using the nuclear bomb blast as a way to explain the character seems kinda cheap. Perhaps in the end he could do something like that, but I'd rather go with the train wreck thing. Surviving one train wreck might not seem much, but what if you keep on surviving all sorts of "accidents" all the time where other people die? Say you'd be in three train crashes in a row and somehow survive them all. That surely would raise some questions, right?

then again, seeing as you're game is already quite far from the "reality" - surviving a nuclear blast wouldn't be that much of stretch.

PlayfulPuppy    419
Quote:
Original post by Wavinator
Quote:
Original post by WeirdoFu

I like this but I think intent is too thorny a problem to solve. How does the game know you were trying to save someone? Do you just get penalized because they were in the room and died when you "died?"

I dunno, you could do it through some lenient context sensitivity. 'Lenient' as in favoring the players current good/bad status, if you're on the good side the computer may overlook a lack of responsibility, but not if you kill someone intentionally (That's black-and-white murder, therefore bad).

Still, you could make it even simpler and just decide on the context by the current 'mission', if you're going to have such a thing. Mission to save Boy 'X' from a speeding train could gain a positive result by saving the boy, or a negative result for making sure the ropes are tight enough.

Wavinator    2017
Quote:
Original post by las6
using the nuclear bomb blast as a way to explain the character seems kinda cheap.

Not sure I follow you here. How is the bomb blast explaining the character?

Quote:
Original post by PlayfulPuppy
Still, you could make it even simpler and just decide on the context by the current 'mission', if you're going to have such a thing. Mission to save Boy 'X' from a speeding train could gain a positive result by saving the boy, or a negative result for making sure the ropes are tight enough.

Lenient context might work for a mission, but what about freeform play? You're not stuck doing mission after mission, it's not linear. So if you've got a reputation for being superman, and run by a local mugging without stopping, how does the game know that you're not on your way to something much more important.

There's also the famous A causes B which leads to C series of consequences which nobody (to my knowledge) has a good answer for: An example would be a bunch of people running from a killer flamethrowing tank are racing toward a bridge. You then detonate the bridge, causing the tank to catch up to the people and kill them. Now did you do it accidentally, or maliciously? You could err on the side of a good rep, but then all the player needs to do is get a good rep then start gaming the system, creating indirect havock without punishment.

Ketchaval    186
Disguises ;). The character keeps redisguising himself and altering his appearance, a moustache, a beard, dying his hair, changing height or sex? Ah but then who would recognise you.

Spoonbender    1258
Quote:
Quote:

What would this be? Dying on the White House lawn while trying to take down the President during his Inauguration?

Would that work? Sure, lots of people would hear about you, but would they neccesarily know that it's true, that you really did survive something you couldn't possibly survive?
Even then, won't people just say "Oh, he wasn't dead then, and they obviously had some good doctors nearby who saved his life", or "Well, I was just watching it on TV. He was probably just knocked out or something"

My point is that practicaly no matter what you do, only the people who see your recovery firsthand might be inclined to believe it. To everyone else, it's going to sound like exaggerated rumors and sensationalists. True, the word will get out (and some will react on it), but most will dismiss it, and have forgotten all about it by the time you eventually meet them. Everyone knows that people aren't immortal, so when some guy claims he is, you're inclined to just think he's crazy, rather than believing him.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm all for making this simple, but I think mass media would be an interesting force to abstract.

Well, I wasn't actually trying to keep it simple, just arguing that if everone has to throw in some remark about your last miraculous survival, you're going to go mad. Mass media would definitely help spread the word about you, but few enough people will be inclined to pay attention to it. Those few would open up to a lot of new plot twists and gameplay opportunities, but 99% of the population would just ignore it and get on with their lives, and treat you like a normal person.

Quote:

About the annoying part: What would make you feel more in character and make the experience fun?

-What if you could tell people, "You've got the wrong guy." or "Dammit, get away from me, I'm not your freakin' messiah!" (and it would work)

Well, what I'd find annoying is if the same NPC's suddenly start treating you different. (Like, you go to a perfectly ordinary shop, and the merchant there starts saying "Hey, you're that immortal guy, aren't you?", before proceeding to sell me his stuff as usual. I'd just get tired of it if every NPC had to start a conversation with "hey, it's Mr. Immortal". [wink]
Sometimes, you just want to be able to buy some ammo for your gun, or a medkit, without having to go through an interrogation by people who saw you fall from a plane on tv. [lol]

What would be cool, is when you get some completely different encounters because of it. (Someone tracks you down *because* you're special. Someone you wouldn't have met otherwise).

Trapper Zoid    1370
Forum seems to be a bit flaky today, but I managed to save most of my post, thank goodness!

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Trapper Zoid
One thing I'm not sure about is whether you intend your character to be immortal, in a Planescape Torment kind of way, so you can take an series of axe blows to the neck, bullet wounds to the heart etc. and survive with minor scars.

This is more what I see. You still receive damage from wounds, but can't be pieced or atomized by them; and where normal flesh should die of shock, or bloodloss, you don't.

Ah, okay, that seems to be in line with what everyone is writing in this thread. The 'lucky' motif is something that I have planned for my 'magnus opus' RPG that I'm aiming to finish (or at least start!) by 2010.

In that case, if your character is immortal, then the way the NPCs treat your character will depend on the setting. If the setting is contemporary, then if the immortal gets a reputation for being unkillable, then I'd suspect he'd quickly find himself as part of a top secret government experiment. You know, the kind of thing where they test his immortal abilities and capacity to regenerate, then end up making him the ultimate warrior by coating his skeleton with adamantium and giving him these cool looking claws, so that the only thing that can defeat him is a lawsuit from Marvel ;)

If it's a historical setting, then the immortal will be suspect of having demonic magic powers, and probably be burned at the stake (which would really sting for an immortal) and then be banished, where he's forced to fight off all other immortals until there's only one left, being only vulnerable to beheading (or another lawsuit).

However, if it's a fantastical setting, then he probably fit in somewhat, He could be on some kind of quest to discover the nature of his own immortality. Just don't call it "Planescape: Torment" or you'll get the trifecta of lawsuits ;).

Seriously though, if you're aiming for a contemporary setting (which is what the posts here are tending towards, so I'm assuming you are), I'd pretty much suspect our hero immortal would have to keep his abilities quiet. Draw any kind of attention to your immortal abilities, and you'd be quickly overwhelmed by powerful forces (like secret government agencies etc.) that would lock you in a research institute for 'life'. If there's more than one immortal, having a secret society of them would be pretty much a given in your story.
You could make flaunting your immortality to be a strong negative, kind of like in Vampire: The Masquerade, where acts of wanton "vampireness" in the open is strongly frowned upon.