Sign in to follow this  

GLUT or other window manager?

This topic is 4546 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I'm wondering if GLUT is good enough to write a wrapper around and use as a cross-platform window manager for my 2D engine, or if there is some other library that I could look at and write my own. Thanks in advance!

No, I'd advise against GLUT for your 2D engine. I'd suggest one of the following instead:
GLFW
SDL
Allegro

The main reason is that GLUT was not designed for game usage. It uses a series of callbacks to operate, and well after you try working with it, you will see that callbacks like it has is not the best thing to have for a game. I'd personally use SDL or GLFW, but I'm a big SDL fan [wink]

The thing is that I want my engine to depend on almost nothing (if I'm going to depend on anything I'd like to statically link it, so I don't have lots of DLL's hanging around, which I think SDL's LGPL won't allow me to do, if I don't release the source for my engine), but support different libraries, for example SDL_image, Corona, DevIL and FreeImage for image loading etc.

And about the LGPL thing, I might be wrong, I have a hard time understanding licenses.

Thanks in advance! :)

Thanks!

It looks great, but I want my application to run on OSX and Linux too, which OGLWFW can't offer me at the moment, so it seems GLFW is my only choice at the moment then :)

Thank you very much for your help!

This topic is 4546 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.