GLUT or other window manager?

Started by
3 comments, last by storage 18 years, 9 months ago
Hello! I'm wondering if GLUT is good enough to write a wrapper around and use as a cross-platform window manager for my 2D engine, or if there is some other library that I could look at and write my own. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
No, I'd advise against GLUT for your 2D engine. I'd suggest one of the following instead:
GLFW
SDL
Allegro

The main reason is that GLUT was not designed for game usage. It uses a series of callbacks to operate, and well after you try working with it, you will see that callbacks like it has is not the best thing to have for a game. I'd personally use SDL or GLFW, but I'm a big SDL fan [wink]
The thing is that I want my engine to depend on almost nothing (if I'm going to depend on anything I'd like to statically link it, so I don't have lots of DLL's hanging around, which I think SDL's LGPL won't allow me to do, if I don't release the source for my engine), but support different libraries, for example SDL_image, Corona, DevIL and FreeImage for image loading etc.

And about the LGPL thing, I might be wrong, I have a hard time understanding licenses.

Thanks in advance! :)
Well since you do want to do a static link, then no, SDL will not work for you. In that case GLFW I'd say is your best bet. That or the OpenGL Window Framework by Rob Jones, aka _the_phantom_ would be a good choice as well.
Thanks!

It looks great, but I want my application to run on OSX and Linux too, which OGLWFW can't offer me at the moment, so it seems GLFW is my only choice at the moment then :)

Thank you very much for your help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement