Sign in to follow this  
bird

[.net] .Net AAA games

bird    100
Hi, Does anyone have any info or links to any AAA comerical games written in managed Direct X? Thanks, bird

Holy Fuzz    213
I don't believe there are currently any AAA games written in .Net/MDX. There is Arena Wars, which is a commercial game, but I think it was written in OpenGL as opposed to DirectX.

bird    100
Thanks for the info. It seems to me with the big push for .Net that this would be the natural progression for PC games. I am doing research for 2 new game titles and was wanting to explore the managed Dirext X route. I guess I need more research. <g>

Thanks again!

capn_midnight    1707
yes, you would think that, but the developers in the game industry (though less true these days) are grossly opposed to change. Just look at all the C and C++ zealots that you run across.

Holy Fuzz    213
The problem is that the companies already have huge investments in the existing technologies, and switching over would probably be counterproductive. That, and most developers are probably wary of using a new technology that is as yet untested in the arena of AAA games.

That being said, if these don't concern you, then .Net/MDX should be a very excellent choice. It is my platform of choice.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Tin Soldiers: Alexander and Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar were written in C#.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
"yes, you would think that, but the developers in the game industry (though less true these days) are grossly opposed to change. Just look at all the C and C++ zealots that you run across."

As said above, it's not because they're opposed to change, it's because they already have massive amounts of C/C++ code libraries already written, they're already trained in it, it's portable and it doesn't require the user to have the .NET framework installed, which I know a lot of users are still running without.

To existing developers with their massive code bases already laying around, the improved portability of C/C++ and the faster speeds (albeit extremely minor in a lot of cases) there's no incentive or logical reason why those developers would move other - it's nothing to do with being stuck in their ways.

The only reason to start writing games in C# is if you're starting from scratch and don't care about portability as much.

bird    100
Cool.. thanks for the info. It's interesting that they include the .Net framework with the game. I wonder if they get any negative feedback from customers that they have to install the .Net framework to play the game. Just wondering. Game got great reviews.

bird

intrest86    742
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
The only reason to start writing games in C# is if you're starting from scratch and don't care about portability as much.

Actuallt, no. If I write a game in C# it will be because the game will be fully 100% portable to Win, Linux, Mac without me having to lift much more of a finger, something that C++ still seems to struggle with.

Saruman    4339
Quote:
Original post by intrest86
Actuallt, no. If I write a game in C# it will be because the game will be fully 100% portable to Win, Linux, Mac without me having to lift much more of a finger, something that C++ still seems to struggle with.

The problem is we are talking about games here, and as the title says specifically AAA games.

Linux and Mac are pure losses and the games actually lose money. It is not looked at as a market that will earn money, but one that will earn word-of-mouth and marketing for working on those platforms.

Although in sales Linux and Mac mean absolutely nothing.. it's the XBox, PS2, GameCube and soon 360, PS3, and Revolution that do. Although there is a very major chance that you will be able to use the CLR on the 360.

If you are making a PC only game though, I see absolutely no reason not to develop in C# or with the framework in general.