Sign in to follow this  
torquel

Collision Detection Cropping Algorithm

torquel    122
I'm looking for the best way to crop out or identify a person in a video stream. I'm not exactly sure what term to even call what I'm trying to do, but basically its an attempt to identify various portions of a person (like fists, feet, head, etc). I was thinking about comparing two frames from the video stream and take into account a threashold for changes, but webcam streams seem pretty dynamic and colors rarely ever stay the same sometimes. Anyone have an idea as to the term of what I'm trying to do and any articles on how to go about doing it? I'de appreciate it. I'm interested in making webcam games similar to how the EyeToy does for the PS2. Thanks.

Icefox    238
It sounds like what you're trying to do is some pretty sophisticated image-recognition and artificial vision. I don't know much about it, and I may be pessimistic, but it's a pretty non-trivial problem. To me it seems like the best way to learn about it would get a doctorate in computer science and work up from there...

Of course, for all I know, there's a free image-analysis library somewhere that will do what you want. Google is your friend.

torquel    122
I'm actually curious about the algorithms themselves if any exist. I wouldn't want to use someone elses software to do the desired effect. I realize its not a trivial problem, but I wouldn't be into it if it was. :) Thanks for the reply though.

Syranide    375
Often the basic stage of this is to (as you said), calculate the changes between to frames, and use a threshold for noise. But commonly any movement is pretty easily recognized as outlining of the person.

And calculating rough placements should be possible, not applicable in all situations etc, but arms and head shouldn't be too hard really (little hackish perhaps). (if you take into account somethings such as head always beeing at the top, arms always completely showing if they should be calculated etc.

But it all depends on what the use is, if you are going to do a "grab the falling blocks" you really don't need to check such things, but creating a fighting game doesn't need very accurate detection, but just rough.