Sign in to follow this  
Raeldor

Terraformer New Version... Thanks Again All!

Thanks again to everyone for their help with my questions during this next stage of coding my Terraformer terrain editing tool. I have recoded the Windows front end using MFC which has allowed me to add a toolbar, toolbox, and a rebar containing texture selection and tool size controls. This allows all the commonly used tools to be accessed without going to the pull down menus. It's still needs some tidying up, but I am so excited about the new version. Many of the changes you requested on the last version are in. In addition there is now a perlin noise tool which can be used to paint both textures onto the terrain and to paint 'height' onto the terrain, the results of which are amazingly cool. Anyways, a quick recap of the features... Select/move/rotate/zoom tools Raise/lower/flatten land tools Paint/erase brush tools Shapes for brush and height painting including sine, linear, flat and perlin Perlin noise generator with 4 sliders Toolbar with texture selection and tool settings Dockable toolbox Save and load in XML format (heightmaps are binary floating point maps) 32 texture slots for entire terrain 4 texture slots per tile (for which you can map any of the 32 textures) Wireframe/solid view Render distance/lod/sun position settings Show tile grid Scale box for perspective (scale box represents size of person) I have not got a release machine to try this on, so I hope everything is there this time. I have also included a demo terrain which I put together in about 2 minutes. I am sure you people out there can do much more amazing things than what I put together though (I am no artist!). Anyways, the new version can be downloaded here. Please let me know if you have any problems running it. You will of course need the latest version of DirectX installed before you run it. Things left to do for the full release of this version are... Allow 8 texture slots per tile instead of 4 Allow viewing of alphamap directly for texture slot Incorporate fill tool to fill whole terrain or selected tiles Clamp settings to clamp upper and lower height limit when using tools Multi-level undo Ability to increase mesh size (number of tiles, tile size and alpha map size) Go through code to ensure full encapsulation Performance enhancements Thanks again everyone, and I hope I will have a full release first version available very soon. All the best Rael

Looks and works realy great, good job!

I only have one question: what the blue thingy in the center of the heightmap?

The blue thing in the middle is just a box that approximates the size of a character to give you a sense of perspective on the size of your terrain. You can turn it on and off from the view menu.

Really nice work!
One thing I noticed was that you use the same seed for the perlin noise every time, right? How about using different seeds for the different textures, so I don´t end up replacing my nicely distributed dirt with exactly the same distribution using leaves? Would ease painting the terrain hugely because I wouldn´t have to change the noise parameters every time.
Oh yes: You should show some tool outline (like for changing the terrain height) when painting, so I exactly know where I gonna paint if I click.
Otherwise I really like that tool now.

Quote:
Original post by matches81
Really nice work!
One thing I noticed was that you use the same seed for the perlin noise every time, right? How about using different seeds for the different textures, so I don´t end up replacing my nicely distributed dirt with exactly the same distribution using leaves? Would ease painting the terrain hugely because I wouldn´t have to change the noise parameters every time.
Oh yes: You should show some tool outline (like for changing the terrain height) when painting, so I exactly know where I gonna paint if I click.
Otherwise I really like that tool now.

Thanks for the feedback and kind words. The reason I used the same seed was so you can use it to re-paint the terrain height and still have it match the old bumps. I thought this could be important if you ever want to increase the size of the terrain and then try to blend the edge of an existing tile with the new tiles. Of course to do this I would also need to allow the user to save preset perlin configurations and name them (which is also an addition I am looking at).

But you make a very good point on the textures. I will look at putting a seed number edit box and a 'Reseed' button on the perlin dialog. That way you can still get back to the old configuration if you ever want to try and blend new tiles.

I will look at the tool outline for painting tool like you suggest. The reason I didn't put it on is because a size 10 'raise terrain' tool is a different size to a size 10 'paint' tool because the resolution of the alpha map can be different from that of the tile. If you don't think it would be too confusing for the user, I could definitely put this back.

Thanks again for helping make this a great tool. If you have any more suggestions or find any more problems, please let me know.

All the best
Rael

Looking good.

Few comments:

WASD camera movement would be great. Maybe right mouse hold performs look around, so you can fly around your terrain easily.

A more advanced feature would be the ability to assign textures to height limits. So as you adjusted terrain, it would become textured with the appropriate texture. For example, all geo between 0-20 feet elevation : grass, 20-50 : rock, 50-100 : snow. You could of course toggle this mode on.

Texture previewing.

Mouse wheel control for brush size.

Quote:
Original post by Dumptruck
Looking good.

Few comments:

WASD camera movement would be great. Maybe right mouse hold performs look around, so you can fly around your terrain easily.

A more advanced feature would be the ability to assign textures to height limits. So as you adjusted terrain, it would become textured with the appropriate texture. For example, all geo between 0-20 feet elevation : grass, 20-50 : rock, 50-100 : snow. You could of course toggle this mode on.

Texture previewing.

Mouse wheel control for brush size.

Great suggestions. WSAD is a great idea. I was thinking of putting in a procedural texturing option using height and also slope angle to populate the textures as a starting point for editing. Texture previewing is another great idea. I was thinking of saving the mouse wheel for zoom in/out though, do you think zoom would be better, or brush?

Thanks

Sign in to follow this