Sign in to follow this  
Proudest

Tactical RPG movement

I'm designing a 2d tactical rpg like Shining Force I/II for sega and Fire Emblem and have a question. I'm looking for a method to draw the movable area indicator tiles based on a range value. Here's how the pattern looks as the range increases. The number indicates the range of the object. One idea I have is to use a 2d array large enough to fit the shape in it then hard code each tile value to indicate the shape. Another idea is to use some sort of radius equasion, althought I don't know it. What I'm looking for is a pattern/equasion/method to dynamically create this shape based on a range value. I could be approaching this from the wrong angle, if anyone knows a common way this type of game handles this, let me know. Thanks.

Are you familiar with any path finding algorithms? There is a particular one which is very apt for this kind of problem.

Imagine your player is at the center of a 2d array. Mark his position in the array with a zero, and mark all the other positions with a -1.

For each block in the array
If the block is walkable, has a value of -1 and there is a 0 to the top,left,right or bottom
then mark that block with a 1.

For each block in the array
If the block is walkable, has a value of -1 and there is a 1 to the top,left,right or bottom
then mark that block with a 2.

etc...

You can write a general algorithm to do this very easily. After 4 iterations you'll end up with something like this (I have left out the -1's on the image for clarity. The big black blobs are obstacles)

(http://www24.brinkster.com/freydev/pathfill.png)

What you want to do for now is use this array to render stuff nicely - eg. stuff that is 4 blocks from the player will be red or whatever you want.

This technique can also be used to make a monster walk towards the player: Build up the map exactly as is done above. If a monster is on a tile marked with a 4 just check the surrounding blocks for a 3 then move towards that block.

Did that help?

[Edited by - FReY on July 5, 2005 2:10:15 AM]

I just wanted to add that you can improve the algorithm by a general factor of 2 by using a small box centered around your player to start off with and increasing it's size every iteration.

That's exactly what I needed, thanks. This solves the previously un-though of pathfinding issue I would soon face and my original question at the same time.

How would an algorhythm for a straight line pattern used for targeting rather than moving look like? The pattern would only deal with the four horizonal/vertical directions, and would be capable of ranging from two values (min/max range).

For example, a person with a spear could have a range of 1-2 or a magician could have a spell with the range of 2-3, but not 1.

think of the attack as a movement, simply "move" the attack towards the target, and if it collides or the path is > weapon.range ....

or...

you could use the almighty pythagoras.... sqrt(X1-X2,Y1-Y2)