Sign in to follow this  
Dev48GameDev

Three little questions about LUA

Dev48GameDev    122
Hi! I have three little questions about LUA: 1/ is it possible to use LUA with C#?If it is possible how can I do? 2/ is it possible to use LUA with devCpp?If it is possible how can I do? 3/ is LUA most used in game than another script language? If not which language is the most used? Thanks in advance

Balaam    239
As for the answer to question one - Yes. It's not too hard either here's a little tutorial I wrote, it uses some freely available tools.

I have no idea about question 2 as I don't use that environment. Which may make the above tutorial a bit harder to follow - sorry :(

I believe LUA and Python are the most used "out-of-the-box" scripting languages. Lua was used for Grim Fandango and FarCry (among other games. There's a big list of projects here. Though these are only projects that have reported to the LUA site that they're using the language).

[Edited by - Balaam on July 10, 2005 7:36:15 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I am not 100 % sure, but i think they use lua in some way in world of warcraft too.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Lua works great with Dev-Cpp, which is just an IDE for GCC for Windows (namely MinGW GCC).

JTippetts    12949
I believe they have a DevPack for Lua. Go check out devpacks.org and see if they have one. Note that it's possible they don't have one built for the very newest version of Dev Cpp yet. I couldn't say since it's been so long since I checked.

Building Lua from source is very easy, however. I typically use a command-line environment on the rare occasions I do Windows programming (MSys is what I use) so building works pretty much right out of the box. It should be fairly simple to google for building instructions.

nife    235
Quote:
Original post by Dev48GameDev
Where can I find libs fo devCpp? I just found those for VC++?

Do I have to compile them?

Just rename libs like "lua-5.lib" to "liblua-5.a" and you should be set to link them with "llua-5" in the parameter options (if they are placed in the lib folder of Dev-C++) ;-)

I have done this many times, and it haven't failed yet..

[Edited by - nife on July 4, 2005 10:22:37 AM]

darklordsatan    258
Quote:
Original post by nife
Quote:
Original post by Dev48GameDev
Where can I find libs fo devCpp? I just found those for VC++?

Do I have to compile them?

Just rename libs like "lua-5.lib" to "liblua-5.a" and you should be set to link them with "llua-5" in the parameter options (if they are placed in the lib folder of Dev-C++) ;-)

I have done this many times, and it haven't failed yet..

I think you meant "-llua-5"

Notice its also posible to use .lib from within devcpp in most cases, and you dont have to rename them, or hunt for some devpack, all you have to do is to manually include them in the linker options, theres a button to add libraries to your project and then you select the .lib
I cant speak for latest versions of Lua, but some time ago, I successfully used it with devcpp without the need of a devpack (In fact, I never use devpacks)