• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sydan

Using .3DS for level design?

This topic is 6411 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was thinking of doing some 3D level design with MilkShape. But I''m clueless as to how collision would work in such a large mesh vs characters in that mesh. Is there some standard way to do this? Or do people create their own map editor and import .3ds objects separately? Everquest would be the best example of the type of structures I''m trying to create... nothing terribly fancy. But definitely need to prevent walking through walls etc.

Advertisement
If I load in .3ds objects separately to another editor, I could more than likely do what I want. That means I have to make a map editor though. Not a big deal, but I thought I''d check first before doing it.

I''m more interested to see if anyone uses one package (like 3DStudio or Milkshape etc) to fashion their entire level in one go. And how they go about moving a character in 3d space through it once they load it as a mesh.

I spent a bit more time with this problem. It looks like my library allows me direct access to all the objects in the .3ds file; including all their vertices. I''m experimenting with other functions like PointInObject to see what I can come up with.

Terrain isn''t a problem since I have a working mesh for that, and a corresponding Y formula to keep me on it.

I did figure this out. However I haven''t put my solution through the hoops yet, nor scaled it.

I can loop through the .3ds list of objects. Picking the right ones (ie: not doing all) is something I need to optimize. Anyway, I get the extents of the object, then check to see if a point is within that object using a simple box method. The method may also have to change depending on the object shape, but for now this works on simple scenes.

By using appropriate names for the objects (ex: Floor) I can adjust player behaviour accordingly. So far this primitive method works well with steps, perpendicular walls etc.

By primitive I was actually referring to my bounding-box method

At the moment I''m too lazy to convert my landcape plane formula to use with .3ds... but I think that''s the way to go for slopes.

I still wonder how exactly Everquest does their level design. If you are "levitating" you can actually collide with any object. I thought maybe they kept their collision detection to assumed targets, but you can sit on any object no matter how hard it is to get to.

I guess the aggravation of mixing outdoor and indoor techniques in one engine is why I keep pulling my hair out regularly.

Heh, ok, I see what you mean then. I was wondering how I would pull off caves, but then I figured I could make walls and use an object to make a head for it (it wouldn''t be easy, but it would make a cool overhead effect, alpha blending et cetera).

Gravity has always been my most dreaded foe in a 3D engine, luckily I haven''t got to the point where I have to handle it yet.

http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!