Sign in to follow this  

Passing a pointer to an object that is stored in a vector (SOLVED!)

This topic is 4546 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! In my game, I have a class called Character, that stores the data for each character in my game, for example the images to use for that character, the width and height, etc. I also have a class called Actor. Instances of this class are the actual creatures in the game. So for example if I was writing a PacMan game, there would be two Characters, the PacMan character and the Ghost character, and there would be five Actors, four of which would hold a pointer to the Ghost character and one would hold a pointer to the PacMan character. Anyway, the point is, I want to send the Character pointers to the Actor objects, so each Actor object can look/behave like the correct Character. I know how to pass pointers to objects to an object, as some people on this site recently showed me how to send a pointer to the Maze object to each Actor, so that each Actor can see the Maze. Trouble is, my Character objects are stored in a vector, and although I know how to access each Character like this: m_Characters[PACMAN]->AnimFirst(WALKLEFT, 9); m_Characters[GHOST]->AnimFirst(WALKLEFT, 20); ...I don't know how to send a pointer to one of these two Characters to the Actors. The Actor object is ready to receive the pointer and store it:
void Actor::CharacterPut(Character* const character)
{
	m_pCharacter = character;
}

I send the Actors their initial X and Y position like this: m_Actors[PLAYER]->PosPut(100,200); I have tried to send them the pointer to their Character like this: m_Actors[PLAYER]->CharacterPut( &m_Characters[0] ); ...but I get an error: In member function `bool World::CreatePopulate(std::ifstream&)': CharacterPut(Character**)' candidates are: void Actor::CharacterPut(Character*) Any ideas? Is there a special way of accessing the address of an object that is stored in a vector? [Edited by - darenking on July 4, 2005 7:48:40 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
try just passing

m_Actors[PLAYER]->CharacterPut( m_Characters[0] );

without the ampersand.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Try:
m_Actors[PLAYER]->CharacterPut( ( Character* const )m_Characters[0] );

Hope that helps.

It is not that hard. Judging from these calls:

m_Characters[PACMAN]->AnimFirst(WALKLEFT, 9);
m_Characters[GHOST]->AnimFirst(WALKLEFT, 20);

Your character vector is defined along the lines of:

std::vector<CCharacter*> m_Characters;

This means that every entry of the vector is a pointer to a character instance. You have already used the index operator [] to obtain such pointers, only you used them to call member functions:

m_Characters[PACMAN]->AnimFirst(WALKLEFT, 9);

You can use the same to pass the pointer to the actor object:

m_Actors[PLAYER]->CharacterPut( m_Characters[PACMAN] );

Hope this helps you out! Greetz,

Illco

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
try just passing

m_Actors[PLAYER]->CharacterPut( m_Characters[0] );

without the ampersand.

Won't that pass the whole object rather than just the address?

If that does work, why do I need the amperstand when I send a pointer to an object that isn't stored in a vector? I send the address of my Maze object like this (when I create the Actor)...

Actor* newActor = new Actor(&m_Maze);

and it is recieved like this:

Actor::Actor(Maze* const maze)
{
m_pMaze = maze;
//etc

Have I done something wrong there - is the amperstand not needed?

Quote:
Original post by Illco
This means that every entry of the vector is a pointer to a character instance. You have already used the index operator [] to obtain such pointers, only you used them to call member functions:

Illco

Of course! The vector already holds pointers to objects rather than objects! That's why I don't need the &. That's right isn't it?

Absolutely. For the future: you could have judged that from the error your compiler gave. It said it could not convert a Character** parameter to the Character* parameter the function required. You can deduce that you had dereferenced the pointer one too many times.

This topic is 4546 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.