Sign in to follow this  

Visual Basic

This topic is 4544 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've used C/C++ a bit and am currently working my way through a DirectX 9 introduction book. The college which I am about to attend teach Visual Basic (I've never used it), they use Visual Studio 6. At home I have Visual Studio .NET 2003. I have a textbook which are used at the college and was just looking at the first Hello World type application. The textbook says to create a Standard EXE project, the closest I could get in VS .NET 2003 was "Windows Application". My textbook then said the empty code would be...
Private Sub Form_Load()

End Sub
...And that I just had to insert a couple of lines between this, like so:
Private Sub Form_Load()
Form1.Show
Form1.Print "Hello World!"
End Sub
This is obviously not the case in VS .NET 2003; a windows application project begins with something completely different, with quite a few lines of VS generated code. Is this something to do with .NET? (whatever that is :P) So I don't know where to start. Could someone direct me to some absolute Visual Basic beginners resources, or is Visual Studio 6 recommended? Thanks in advance, Danny :)

Visual Basic.Net and Visual Basic 6 are essentially different languages (for better or worse). Your best bet would be to get Visual Studio 6, rather than shoe-horning VB6 ideas into VB.Net code. As you get further into your course, more things are going to crop up that differ in VB6 and VB.Net. I would suggest that you drop VB.Net for now, especially if you're going to be examined on VB6, since the two are close enough to get confused, but far enough apart to not be completely compatible, which could come back and bite you.

Bad news time. The Visual Basic language changed quite a bit from VB6 to VB .NET. Essentially, code is not compatible between the two compilers, so if you want to follow along with the things they do at your school, you'll probably need to get a copy of VB 6.

If you find it difficult to spend the money on VB now, there exists a free version with limited features. It is downloadable at the microsoft site through this address:

http://download.microsoft.com/msdownload/sbn/vbcce/vb5ccein.exe

I dont know how advanced your course is going to be, but i guess you'll have to get the real version someday anyhow.

This topic is 4544 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.