Sign in to follow this  
d000hg

Game genre questionaire

d000hg    1199
A couple of threads are asking for screenshots and so on, but I thought maybe we could have one solely to see who is making what kind of entry. Feel free to discuss any details or not, depending on whether you want to keep your ideas secret! I'll start - RTS, with graphics of the style of C&C / TA etc - a high isometric view to eliminate high detail models! Between 2 and 4 of the game themes will be present in this single-player game. The sides will be very different in terms of strategy, abilities which is probably a tuning nightmare but oh well... in fact I'm deliberately making the different sides vastly different in terms of strength.

ToohrVyk    1595
Roguelike, probably ASCII art, although if there is time (and resources) I might decide to plug in something more pretty.

The game is programmed in Objective Caml.

Quote:
Original post by ToohrVyk
Roguelike, probably ASCII art, although if there is time (and resources) I might decide to plug in something more pretty.

I believe you are a little more crazy than anyone else here :)

Regards,

ricekrispyw    388
Quote:
Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:
Original post by ToohrVyk

I believe you are a little more crazy than anyone else here :)

Regards,

Yes.

---------

I'm going with sort-of an FPS. You'll have to wait and see what I mean.

ArchWizard    1083
I'm making a top-down 2D RPG in the style of old-school Final Fantasy games. If I had the wherewithal and the time I'd make a Final Fantasy 7 clone.

jbadams    25674
I'm working on a side-scrolling puzzle game, although it remains to be seen whether or not I'll have enough free time to actually come up with some decent puzzles. [wink] I should have all 4 elements in the game if all goes well, although I'm still working out the details of how each will be used.

jbadams    25674
Quote:
Original post by xCronus
Is anyone here making a fps?

Quote:
Original post by ricekrispyw
I'm going with sort-of an FPS. You'll have to wait and see what I mean.

There will probably be at least a couple. Are you considering attempting one?

Oberon_Command    6075
RTS. Kinda like Warcraft, but top-down instead of semi-isometric, and with elements of Age of Mythology added (Barbarian priests can summon zombies from enemy graveyards, Barbarian warriors come back as zombie mercenaries after dying, etc...).

perfectly_dark    253
I'm making a Zelda (LTTP) style RPG game with some elements from other games/genras. The game will (hopefully) be heavily story driven and have a fast paced real time combat system (just like Zelda but more focused on the combat). It will be more mature and serious than the Zelda games though, not that there's anything wrong with the Zelda games, they're my favorites! (If you haven't concluded that from the fact that I used the word 'Zelda' no fewer than 4 times in a short paragraph.)

Sneftel    1788
I'm kind of making an RTS, but it's unlike other RTSes you've played; there's really only two types of units, and your units and the enemy's units never directly interact.

DakeDesu    100
Well, I kind of got worried when I saw somebody else say 2d style puzzle game, but then I realised that by now most of the people who were doing RTS might have moved on. Almost like I almost did, thanks to figuring out how to implement a control scheme in my project.

However, I am still alive. Just was dreading returning to these forums, that was all.

ArchWizard    1083
I dread these forums too. All of the sweet screenies make my project look like a huge sack of crap. [sad]

Oh well, I will soldier on. The practice will do me good. The free services of a good pixel artist would do me better, though [wink]

d000hg    1199
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
I'm kind of making an RTS, but it's unlike other RTSes you've played; there's really only two types of units, and your units and the enemy's units never directly interact.
Sounds interesting - is this an idea you've had for a while of a brainwave/random thought you had for the contest? Can you give any more information or are you being secretive?

Sneftel    1788
Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Sounds interesting - is this an idea you've had for a while of a brainwave/random thought you had for the contest? Can you give any more information or are you being secretive?

It's an idea I've been kind of tossing around in my head for awhile, but the contest sort of focused it into something doable. The basic idea is that you're the captain of a pirate ship crewed by robots; you assign bots to combat roles, and give them tasks ("reef the forward sail", "reload that cannon", etc.); since they're robots, they don't show much initiative, so there's a lot of micromanagement going on. As an alternative to micromanagement, however, you have pirate lieutenants under whose commands you can place different bots, and then instruct the lieutenants at a higher level (though you can countermand their orders on a case-by-case basis, if you think there's a better way to do something). It's an RTS because you're controlling all these units in realtime, but since it's your ship interacting with enemy ships, instead of your units interacting with enemy units, I think there'll be an interesting mix of trying to beat the other guy, and trying to beat your own efficiency.

Sneftel    1788
Quote:
Original post by Srekel
Interesting, Sneftel. Our (me and my team's) idea is in a way very similiar to yours, but it is still very different.

Do tell. At first I was rather cloak-and-dagger about my concept, but when I think about it, nobody's going to try to copy anyone else in the context of this context; on the contrary, they'd want to differentiate themselves.

d000hg    1199
I think I agree - as soon as the first person posts a idea everyone can see that. Although I'll wait a while before giving everything away - by then all the serious people will already have started entries, and anyone else won't have time even if they were deranged enough to think stealing my design would give them anything that great anyway.

On the subject of unusual RTS games, has anyone else seen/played Firewall, an indie game? I'd post a link but the name inherently makes searching for it very tricky...

Sign in to follow this