[web] PHP for an ASP Programmer?

Started by
6 comments, last by jumpjumpjump 18 years, 9 months ago
I've recently decided to expand my knowledge of Web Development into PHP. In case y'all didn't know, I'm an ASP coder my nature (with a bit of ASP.NET on the side). My knowledge of PHP is non-existent aside from the "Hello, World!" examples you can get on most websites. Does anyone know of any decent links that break an ASP programmer into ASP nice 'n easily? More importantly, the differences between database access in PHP and the use of XML and XSLT in PHP. I think I'll be able to figure out most of the syntax and other things from there (yes, I have links :P). Cheers guys
Advertisement
PHP is very easy to get into after you've learnt ASP (it's easy anyway, but I digress...). PHP is like a hybrid of C and PERL so if you have some C (or C++) knowledge, you'll find things start to make sense fairly quickly. You can actually use ADO to access MySQL with PHP, too, which makes it feel a whole lot more like ASP.

One thing I will say though, is that the "OOP" support in PHP, isn't so good. You can build and use classes, but there's some weird things in there. The constructors don't behave quite as you'd expect in some instances, from what I remember.

I can't think of any really good links off-hand, but I can recommend a book to you: PHP and MySQL Web Development, available from Sams. It's certainly been one of the better books I've purchased.

Sorry I haven't got any good links to provide for ASP->PHP, but seriously, if you're coming from an ASP background, you shouldn't have many problems using some of the PHP tutorials online.
Just found this. Should help with the XML portion of your question.
The best resource you'll find is the official documentation. If you've mastered ASP, you'll have no trouble picking up PHP. I find the only difference between ASP(.NET) and PHP is ASP's object oriented constructs. PHP is more lenient with the matter.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I'll be using PHP4, I thought there were no classes in there? I'll have to check it out
PHP 4 has classes :P.

phpfreaks.com is awesome as well as studying code to readily available systems(phpbb, postnuke, etc).

I learned by studying phpbb 2.0.6.
PHP4 has classes, but it's kinda like a last-minute add-on. Like C++, only even less thought out. ;)

They're there, and occasionally they're useful, but they're not good enough to rely on.

PHP5 is supposed to be a lot more OO'ish, although I haven't played around with that yet.

Anyway, the best link I can point you to is the PHP manual. It's an impressive piece of work. Far more useful than almost any manual I've seen. You can actually use it as a starting point for learning the language.
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
Anyway, the best link I can point you to is the PHP manual. It's an impressive piece of work. Far more useful than almost any manual I've seen. You can actually use it as a starting point for learning the language.

Yeah, add that together with the user comments on the manual pages, and it is the most useful by far.

I wish msdn had user comments like that...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement