Sign in to follow this  

[.net] X Box 360 and Managed Direct X

This topic is 4537 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am wanting to see if games written in Managed Direct X will be compatible with the new XBox 360. The idea being if we develop a game using managed Direct X the game could potentially be converted to run on XBox 360. I was at E3 in May and could not get any info about this. Does anyone have such info? Thanks, bird

very unlikly.

The xbox 360 uses hardware specific version of directx that is has extra features, and also features missing from the PC version. As was the case with Xbox 1. So even if the 360 can run .net (I'd expect it can), it's version of MDX will almost certainly be incompatible with PC MDX.

That said, it probably wouldn't be that hard to port them (assuming it does run .net)

I'd expect that MS are targetting .net as a scripting language for the 360. Help make development a lot smoother.

I thought the Xbox 360 was supposed use XNA in which case all the DirectX should be compatible between Xbox and PC.

It is also supposed to support CD-R, so I would really like to be able program games in .NET then burn the games to CD and play them on an Xbox.

I know this is unlikely, since Microsoft will want to charge royalties for everything. Hopefully, their business model is more centered around XboxLIVE than royalties from games (at least I suspect it is) and maybe they will encourage hobby game development.

The big budget games that generate a lot of royalty arent going to be on CD anyway so they could put their copy-protection and royalty stuff on the DVD discs only. Then not-for-profit hobby games could easily be shared on CD.

Because I already have a 2d (accelerated with 3d) engine that I wrote for this "crappy API" and I am not trying to make doom3 or unreal tournament 2k-whatever. Just old-school arcade style games. For simple games like these, managed code on the XBox would be 100 times easier than writing the same thing in C++ and having to deal with the PS3's cell processor.

Quote:
Original post by quaker
Why does someone want to program for Xbox360 using a crappy API while there's something called Playstation 3 which is OpenGL based?

Considering at the current time DirectX is superior to GL (especially the PS3 version.. 1.3 or whatever not even supporting a good shader model) I wouldn't really call it a crappy API. Microsoft is well known for having the best API for programming consoles.. so you must be new or something.

[Edited by - Saruman on July 7, 2005 1:13:11 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Stru
I know this is unlikely, since Microsoft will want to charge royalties for everything. Hopefully, their business model is more centered around XboxLIVE than royalties from games (at least I suspect it is) and maybe they will encourage hobby game development.

The big budget games that generate a lot of royalty arent going to be on CD anyway so they could put their copy-protection and royalty stuff on the DVD discs only. Then not-for-profit hobby games could easily be shared on CD.

I don't think this is likely. Not because of the royalty issue but because of the security and piracy issues. Security is supposed to be a big deal on this console with the new live micro transactions. Modding and cheating are other related problems. Microsoft is not going to allow any unsigned code to be run, which is too bad. It would have been nice if they at least let you run in a sand box with no disk access or network access, but i think thats highly unlikely.

While I can see that running code could be a problem, It should be totally secure to let you run only managed code since you won't be able to do anything they haven't given you permission to do. It win-win for microsoft because it would encourage people to use .NET and increase interest in the XBox360.

The fact that the code is managed does not mean that it would be incapable of cheating. While you could not hack into the memory of other processess, if you have full access to the system there is nothing stopping you from reading and writing whatever you want to the the harddrive (possibly copying materials purchased via live and dumping them on another machine), and you can do all kinds of things with the network also, like reporting erroneous wins. As soon as you give people full access to the system you have to worry about all kinds of security issues, like copying, modding, cheating, hacking, trojan horses and possibly even viruses.

There is no way to do stuff you aren't supposed to with only managed code. That is why you can setup .NET 1.1 apps to run from a website without even a security prompt in Internet Explorer. You don't have total access to the hardware, only access to what they let you access. If MS doesn't want you doing something they can just disable it, or leave it out of the framework completely.

And people will hack it anyway, they got linux running on the first Xbox. So they will have to deal with all those security issues anyway.

I don't want access to all that stuff anyway. I just want it to let me run the game from a CD-R and give my app access to the controllers and the graphics.

Considering a CD-R can hold about 800MB of info, and the HD-DVD can hold about 15 GB, it would be nice to be able to write simple games on CD-Rs, and they really wouldn't be able to compete with commercial games. The real trick is distributing the dev XBOXs and keeping those under control.

This topic is 4537 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.