Sign in to follow this  
Cacks

Certifications

Cacks    179
Hey everyone, I'm sure a lot of people on this forum have IT jobs and make games in their spare time. Im going into my final year of Uni now and will soon need to get a job :( Has any1 got any suggests for certifications I could take? It doesn't have to be a programming certification, just ones which will increase my chance of getting a job & increasing my wages. Thanks!

Codemonger    217
I would start with A+ and Network+ (CompTIA). If you have university CS degree you more than likely will not need programming certifications for a programming job, just your degree and X years of experience work great.

The A+ seems to be required for any entry level PC related jobs or technician jobs. Pick up an A+ book for $100 bucks, study it, take the exam, and get your cert. This should definately increase your chances of getting a job in the hands-on tech sector immediately, but this is not required for a programming job (doesn't hurt though).

VerMan    116
I agree certification programs don't hurt, but sometimes don't help you that much either.

I read in an article that there's certain irrelevance about the topic and it is confirmed by some job databases when you search for "certified programmer" or "certified <something>".

I'm not sure if getting a certification (or a couple of them) would help increasing your chances to get a better job (or at least a job) or raise your salary, however If I had the time, money and chance to become a certified "whatever" I'd do it!

Telastyn    3777
It depends on who's doing the hiring.

An HR drone will only look at [or perhaps even only keyword search through] the resume. They love certifications. MSCE, CCNA, A++ are the standard "requirements" for HR sponsored IT work.

An IT manager actually cares about what you can do. They know that all these certifications [except the CCIE] are worthless, since anyone with half a mind can cram for them, and ace the certification. They still might not know what they're doing. Unless they have an MSCE, in which case they definately have no clue :P

Unfortunately, in any sizable company you need the useless certifications [or experience, or social networking] to bypass the HR check so you can talk to the IT manager.

Codemonger    217
Certifications are usually a way to upgrade your skill set without having to get a "real" education or experience. A lot of companies pay for their employees to get certified and or reimburse employees you take certification during their employment. Computer tech. companies also like to say their employees are a+ certified or something along those lines.

Programming certs. are not usually required for a job especially if you have your degree in CS, programming certs are usually used internally for tech. staff to stay up to date and learn new langauges, it also means job security for the employee.

The reason why certifications are so welcomed by the industry is because the tech. sector can be thought of as a trade , such as a welder, electrician etc.. So if you have some certifications the employer can assume that the cert means your qualified. This basically makes it another stepping stone.. many years ago completion of grade 12 was the minimum requirements for many jobs. Now it is certain certifications, the certs have become a simple minimum requirement.

I already payed for my a+, network+, and mcsa certifications .. currently studying to take the exams. Only because I have been turned down by employers that require these certifications regardless of previous education or experience. I have been told this in person and have been asked why I have not aquired my certifications, unfortunately I did not have an answer, and never thought about certs till about a year and a half ago. Years ago this would have never been an issue but the industry does need some sort of simple litmus test and certifications would be it.

Certs + Education + Experience = High chances of getting the job compared to competition