The dangers of second hand smoke: cause for alarm or liberal lies?

Started by
63 comments, last by Zeraan 18 years, 9 months ago
Don't know how much second hand smoke is dangerous, but I never smoke when kids are close to me, and I always ask the permission of those who don't use to smoke.
Here in italy you cannot smoke in public places (now neither in pubs). Where I live the law started the 1th July: in the beginning it will be a bit uncomfortable, but I agree with this law.
Advertisement
Everything gives you cancer. That includes second hand smoke.

shmoove
Wow. Even when my father used to smoke three to four packs a day, he always knew that second hand smoke was a danger and that what he was doing to himself was only bad. He quit after he spent a few days in the hospital after having his appendix removed. What motivated him to quit? Why, seeing the old and decrepid smokers hacking their ever loving lungs up, barely breathing, and STILL smoking.

I know some people here like smoking, but my question is ... why? What does it do for you? I'm sure your cigarette money could go to better uses.

Well, I still have nothing against smokers, as a lot of my friends smoke. It's just that a lot of my family has either died of cancer caused by alcohol, cancer caused by smoking or both.
________________________________"Fetch me a rope, lynch mob of one." - Randy Blythe, Lamb of God."The masses are asses." - Unkown.
Smoking is relaxing and enjoyable. Like having a beer, or a hot dog, or a hand job. Well, not maybe not as good as a hand job, but it's still pleasurable. I can't speak for other smokers, but I just don't think about "the long run" when I light up a puff at work, or after I eat. I probably should though. But that's what makes quiting so hard. It's not like we don't want to smoke and we hate it and we just can't stop. We don't WANT to quit. We LOVE it. And that's part of why it is so hard to give up.
In my case, the all the "no more smoking in public places" laws are probably contributing to me not quitting. Since now I have to go outside to smoke, my dirty habit provides me a much needed excuse to take breaks from work.

shmoove
Quote:Original post by Stonicus
Smoking is relaxing and enjoyable. Like having a beer, or a hot dog, or a hand job. Well, not maybe not as good as a hand job, but it's still pleasurable. I can't speak for other smokers, but I just don't think about "the long run" when I light up a puff at work, or after I eat. I probably should though. But that's what makes quiting so hard. It's not like we don't want to smoke and we hate it and we just can't stop. We don't WANT to quit. We LOVE it. And that's part of why it is so hard to give up.

the funny thing about smoking however, which contrasts it from other forms of 'entertainment', is that you usually need to be a smoker for a while to start enjoying it. its only after youve gotten addicted youre getting any release. (except for people who have a natural affinity for inhaling smoke, but i dont know any)

which raises the question if youre not simply permanently feeling a bit down as a smoker, only to return to normal functioning while getting some. this is ofcource the same for all addictions, like breathing and eating, but i see little point in adding another dependency in your life.
First hand smoke is voluntary. I do not choose to second hand smoke, so any discussion of "well it's not THAT bad for you" is irrelevant. Should I move out of your toxic cloud area, or how about you just not create toxins around me? Maybe I should just stop breathing for a while instead. If I can smell cigarrette smoke that means it's not fully dissipating into the air and some of that shit is getting into my lungs. Even one molecule of an intentionally produced carcinogenic substance is one too many in my opinion. Smoking is a filthy, pointless addiction whose benefactors profit from the illness and deaths of thousands of people per year. Cut the crap.
I don't think I will ever understand the "no smoking in bars" law. What do you EXPECT to happen at a bar? Why don't we illegalize drinking at bars, too, because it can lead to drunk driving?

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by Cosmic One
First hand smoke is voluntary. I do not choose to second hand smoke, so any discussion of "well it's not THAT bad for you" is irrelevant. Should I move out of your toxic cloud area, or how about you just not create toxins around me? Maybe I should just stop breathing for a while instead. If I can smell cigarrette smoke that means it's not fully dissipating into the air and some of that shit is getting into my lungs. Even one molecule of an intentionally produced carcinogenic substance is one too many in my opinion. Smoking is a filthy, pointless addiction whose benefactors profit from the illness and deaths of thousands of people per year. Cut the crap.

if you come to a place, knowing that people there will be smoking, and demand that people stop smoking, then yes, you should just "move out of the toxic cloud area". As for your one molecule rule, better stop breathing outside of your hermetically sealed bubble.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
I don't think I will ever understand the "no smoking in bars" law. What do you EXPECT to happen at a bar? Why don't we illegalize drinking at bars, too, because it can lead to drunk driving?

yeah i dont get it either.

if people want to make their bar non-smoking, good for them and the people that will undoubtly be attracted to it.

banning smoking in a bar where 99% of people smoke seems silly to me. you dont have to be there, go to a non-smoking bar instead.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement