your file format for skinned mesh / anim

Started by
10 comments, last by Saruman 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi there! i'm working on a simple game and i'd like to have smooth skinning character in it (hw directx 4 weights per vertex) however , my problem is not coding the animation system, but getting the data correctly from a 3d package (Maya or 3dsmax) i'd like to know which format / exporter / 3d software you 're using, and hear about your experiences fbx? collada? ogre xml? doom3 md5? polytrans? thanks !!!
Advertisement
At work we use the .x file format, and when working on my own engine at home I am just starting to implement model loading now.. and I'm torn between using .x or a custom format along the lines of what Ogre has.
and you don't have any problems exporting
the skin / anims?

the official .x maya exporter hangs
or just exports the mesh...
I use a custom format for which I've written an exporter in Python for Blender.
The file format is based on the way the data is represented internally in the engine. Basically, the exporter uses the engine's Python bindings (through Boost.Python), to load the data into the engine, and then calls a function that uses the Boost.Serialization library to save the data to a file.

It's a little long-winded, and it's taken a long while to get it to work, (you can run into some really strange quirks when trying to use certain design paradigms, e.g. singletons, between languages with language bindings). But it works for me.

Besides, if the modeller has a well documented API, then it should be trivial to write an exporter for your own format.

Quote:

This might be a problem either with the specific mesh you have, or a problem with the exporter. If it's an exporter included in maya, you should be able to get tech support, or they probably have some help forums. It would be more appropriate to ask there, I think.
own defined file format with self written Python export script for Blender. it's the best way in my opinion. this way you can also add easily the export facility to another 3D package if you have the knowledge about the export system there. in Blender3D exporting with Python is rather easy ;)

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

collada handles skinning (as well as everything else) + since the guys from 3dmax + maya are members of the team, i expect the exporters work correctly. certainly a lot quicker using an existing format than making up your own
Quote:Original post by benj
and you don't have any problems exporting
the skin / anims?

The Microsoft exporter for Maya is not the greatest. At work we use Okino Polytrans which has let us export some very complex models with no problems at all. There is also the exporter Deep Exploration which is very good, although I now we strictly use Polytrans.
I'm using the NIF file format. It's a proprietary format, but it's very powerful and there are (or at least were) freely available exporters for it. The same file format handles static models, skinned models, bump-mapped models, portalised levels, particles, animation of virtually every feature, and is ready made for loading directly into a scene-graph.

I keep meaning to make my own (because of NIF's proprietary nature) but NIFs are just so damn good.
Quote:Original post by PlayerX
I'm using the NIF file format. It's a proprietary format, but it's very powerful and there are (or at least were) freely available exporters for it. The same file format handles static models, skinned models, bump-mapped models, portalised levels, particles, animation of virtually every feature, and is ready made for loading directly into a scene-graph.

I keep meaning to make my own (because of NIF's proprietary nature) but NIFs are just so damn good.

I'll second that, .nif format is great, if you have the license for that engine. You can pretty much stuff whatever you want in it and it won't care.

Shame the engine costs so much.
Cal3D is a nice skeletal animation library. Lots of features... takes a bit of playing around but its quite flexible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement