Sign in to follow this  
darenking

C++, Can I read an int from a .txt file? SOLVED!

darenking    122
Howdy. I'm creating a routine to read text files and perform graphic loading operations based on the findings. An example text file looks like this:
createspritesload
data/001_sprites_smally.bmp

createspritescopyfliphorz

The first command, 'createspritesload', instructs the program to load in the bitmap file named in the next line (the program then creates sprites from this file). The second command, 'createspritescopyfliphorz', is supposed to instruct the program to create copies of some of these sprites and flip them horizontally. It all works fine apart from, I need the program to read in the two values (1 and 6 in this case) after 'createspritescopyfliphorz'. These values tell the program to copy and flip six sprites starting from sprite number 1. I know how to read text from the file and store the text in a string:
	std::string line;
	while(file)
	{
		getline(file, line);
		//etc
	}

But how can I read a value and store it in an integer? I know how to read ints from binary files but of course this is a text file. Or do I load the line with getline and convert the contents to an int? If so, how? Thanks! _ [Edited by - darenking on July 5, 2005 2:03:21 AM]

Drew_Benton    1861
Working with text files is a lot simpler than binary files. If you have something like:

MyFile.txt
String Here

You can simply do this:

ifstream if("file.txt");

if.getline(); // MyFile.txt
if.getline(); // String Here

int val1;
if >> val1; // stores 1

int val2;
if >> val2; // stores 6

That's it! Working with text files is just like using cin/cout, except you are using the fin/fout features of the file stream. Take a look at File I/O

snk_kid    1312
Quote:
Original post by darenking
But how can I read a value and store it in an integer? I know how to read ints from binary files but of course this is a text file.

C++ I/O streams preform formatting/parsing to and from types when doing formatted I/O so there isn't anything special to be done, use the stream insertion/extraction operators e.g.

int foo = 0, bar = 0, foobar = 0;
in_file_stream >> foo >> bar >> foobar;

Quote:
Or do I load the line with getline and convert the contents to an int? If so, how?

Well there isn't a need to do this but if you want to parse a string into several types you can use string streams (think of a C++ file stream but for C++ strings).

darenking    122
Quote:
Original post by snk_kid

This is ace. Can you use it to load text or do you have to use getline? I've tried it with text and it doesn't seem to work.

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by snk_kid

This is ace. Can you use it to load text or do you have to use getline? I've tried it with text and it doesn't seem to work.

If I remember correctly, if you >> with strings, it'll read the string up until it hits whitespace. So each >> will read another word. You'll use getline when you want the entire line, as the name implies.

darenking    122
Yes, I've just stuck it in my program and that does seem to be how it works. I can now read in this:

createspritesload data/sprites.bmp

...and this...

createspritescopyfliphorz 1 6

and my program will load in the sprites.bmp file and create sprites for all the images it contains, then will copy and flip 6 of these sprites, starting with sprite number 1.

Problem solved!

Thanks all.

Zahlman    1682
Of course, you can always getline() a line at a time, and then parse each line when necessary by wrapping a stringstream around it and then extracting from *that* (in the same way as you would from the file stream). :)