i want to know information about whats a 3d texture modeller...

Started by
4 comments, last by JTippetts 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi I'm new here and I want to ask how i can learn to be a texture modeller,I have read so many people requesting modellers for their games and I would like to enter in one Indie group of the ones that are around,if someone could tell me more about this theme and/or post some links to tutorials or more info I would be grateful,by the way,I have experience with Photoshop and Freehand and some Bryce 5,my page just in case someone is interested is Here thanks
Advertisement
Well you cant be a "texture modeler". First you model something in a 3d app like blender (blender.org). Then you unwrap the mesh and paint the skin with a painting software such as photoshop. Hope i cleared it up.
Quote:Original post by Jmg129
Well you cant be a "texture modeler". First you model something in a 3d app like blender (blender.org). Then you unwrap the mesh and paint the skin with a painting software such as photoshop. Hope i cleared it up.
okies i want to know how to make textures then...now i may explain myself a little better.I know the facts you say but i really dont have any ideas how to make the textures or the "standard" measures of a texture and by the way even on the professional work ads here ask for texture modelers, so I dont get how you say I cant be one ...

Well, usually the 3d artist does everything from modeling to animating, going thru the texturing stage as well, it doest make sence to pay different people for each stage.

If you're really interested, you should learn all aspects of the craft.
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Well, usually the 3d artist does everything from modeling to animating, going thru the texturing stage as well, it doest make sence to pay different people for each stage.

If you're really interested, you should learn all aspects of the craft.
I know and Im working on with some 3d software but when it comes to textures I dont have any idea....thats the only part *for now* that Im totally clueless....i have Milkshape and blender for now....

You might take a look at this tutorial by Dave King about one of his techniques for creating texture art. This one is heavily slanted toward use of the Smudge tool in Photoshop, and it's pretty nifty. He's also got a tutorial where he takes you through the process of constructing an orc model, step by step from start to finish. It's a little light on details, and assumes some advanced knowledge, but it's still pretty interesting. He had another tutorial focused explicitly on making texture art, but damned if I can find it now. (It was called "Skin Your Knees" or something like that. Anyone seen it lately?)

Note that the smudge tutorial doesn't deal with coloration, just shading. King's methods in the past have involved doing a grey scale shading map as outlined in the tutorial, then applying color in big blocks using the Multiply layer setting to combine it with the shading information. Which is why I'm mad that I can't find the "Skin Your Knees" tutorial, because he talked about this technique there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement