Got a Dream...Don't got Prog. Skills....

Started by
56 comments, last by DJ N3X 18 years, 9 months ago
Ok...I have this great vision. It probably won't make the billion dollar mark...but a good game nonetheless. The vision will be posted on the "HELP WANTED" thread...when I'm ready. The problem is...well I have no game programming experience. Where do I learn OpenGL? DirectX? ...first step, I here, is Visual Basic... Well...if I want to learn Visual Basic...Where DO I BEGIN? Please help... I know HTML...if that helps... I'm also well experienced in pixel art...(and IPA-isometric pixel art) My guess is: First Step: Learn Visual Basic Second: Learn DX Third: Learn OpenGL Fourth: Make a few basic games Fifth: Start planning the team Am I right anywhere? P.S. I learn quick....I learnt html in 10 min....(of course...html is probably the easiest code ever....) Please....I'm not the average noob who thinks he'll be the next CEO of EA Games or sumthin....My ideas are reasonable....plz help me sumone!
D▪J▪ П◦3◦X™
Advertisement
Buy yourself a book like: coding quake 4 in 10 lessons or something like that, dude.
You'll want to learn C and C++ for DirectX while with OpenGL you can choose other languages as well. DirectX has adio, keyboard input, mouse input, graphics, while OpenGL is just graphics only, but if you use SDL you can do all the other stuff that I mentioned for DirectX.

When you get to DirectX or OpenGL, stick with one, and make a few games and then decide if you'd like to learn the other. DirectX is Windows only while OpenGL is cross platform. It can run on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

What skills do you have right now besides what you've mentioned. Do you know any programming languages like BASIC?
I'm basically a noob
I saw a few sites for python...but yea...i have no idea wut basic even is (cept that its just another prog language) i heard of it though....
Jeez I'm so ashamed of myself :P
I just need to know steps to learning gme programming and being good at it....
do i learn basic first? C, C++?
D▪J▪ П◦3◦X™
First Step: Learn Python
Second: Learn Pygame
Third: Practice
Fourth: Make a few basic games (at least one)
Fifth: More practice
I've been to the nehe site..but it suggests learning vbasic first...visual basic is another lang....its used in opengl? maybe i shud start wit C++, then dx...then play round wit it....? once i figure out where to start learnin..then ill buy some books..i guess
D▪J▪ П◦3◦X™
Learn at least one of them, dude! don´t try to build rome in two days, you ain´t gonna master anything with that attitude and anxiety... the important things is the logic, the mechanics behind the games!!!! study, implement, change stuff, practice!!! trial and error, man
a8....i guess ill study pyhton over the next few days....any suggestions for tutorials? python.org ? im dl'in 2.4.1
D▪J▪ П◦3◦X™
It´s all about the algorithms, not speed... study from the masters... download the quake source code or something, work with existing and stable, mature game engines, you got plenty to choose from, build your stuff on top of them
If you think you can pick up programming languages easily you should skip java and just go to C++. It is helpful to have some prog. experience before C++ because most of the books arent really written well for ppl with no prog. experience. Try out deitel & deitels book though, i had their book for another prog. lang and it was very good. After that get a book on the STL ( josuttis ), then get the C++ prog. lang as a tutorial / reference

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement