Got a Dream...Don't got Prog. Skills....

Started by
56 comments, last by DJ N3X 18 years, 9 months ago
And if you haven't done so already, check out the For Beginners section here on GD.
Advertisement
Sounds to me like your in the same position i am in. first of all i have heard from alot of people dont learn BASIC if you learn BASIC you wont learn anything else. Blitz BASIC is for making 2d games like pong and stuff...if you want that then go ahead but if you want to learn to make the games of today go for C/C++ language. C++ correspondes most other language its like the basis of them say you learn c then it wont be hard to learn Java and other languages BASIC is totally diffrent from them

if finds any of this ^^^^^ uncorrect then let me know :þ
Quote:Original post by Agony
Quote:Original post by DJ N3X
Okay...so once I master python...how do ilearn to make the 3d games? :D
One thing I would like to point out is that as you progress and learn more, many of these questions that you ask now will naturally become clearer to you.

Yup. This is always the hard part to explain to a beginner.
Once you've learned programming, you don't need to ask how to make 3d games. You might need to ask how to do it efficiently, how to get a framerate above 0.1 FPS, how to do it in less than 18 years, and so on, but the basic task of "create a game which takes input from the user, and shows 3d graphics on the screen" is just another program, and there's no mystery in it.
I'm not sure if this is going to make any sense, but programming is really just the skill of problem solving. You know what you want to achieve, so it's just a matter of splitting it up into smaller parts and solving those. You know that there are mathematics describing objects in 3d space, so if neccesary, you could figure out where an object would be at any given time. You also know that it's possible to print a pixel to the screen. If given time, you could combine those, write a program that keeps track of some objects in 3d space, and shows them on the screen from a given point of view.
You also know it's possible to get input from the keyboard, and given time, you could use that to change where these objects are located, so they will be drawn differently.

Thats how a programmer would see a 3d game. Fundamentally, it's not a problem, there's no big mystery involved, it's just something that takes an awful lot of work.
Step 1: Learn the basics of a language (I'm currently learning python - seems relatively easy after a few hours ^_^)
Step 2: Then I guess I should learn DX, because based on what you people have been telling me, DX is a better solution to game prog. DX is the most common game programming language right?
Step 3: Mess around with some source code, like Quake or Torque.
Step 4: Plan my game more in detail (sadly, I already did that, thinking that was step one :D! How dumb of me)
Step 5: Learn more code like C++ or OpenGL (should I stay away for OGL? Seems like a bad place for a beginner) based on what my game seems to require.
Step 6: Maybe with a few people, start my first attempt. Learn from my failure (if it will <-- most likely)
Step 7: Keep practicing, producing, and of course...practicing
Step 8: Within a few years (if I'm lucky, months) I can start realistically think about posting on Help Wanted.

Anything missed out here?

BTW:

One thing I would like to point out is that as you progress and learn more, many of these questions that you ask now will naturally become clearer to you.

I'm realizing what you mean. Before I read some C++ and Python books, I never really understood what a compiler was, or what an interpreter was. (Interpreter reads what you type and translates it to a form the computer can understand, while the compiler compiles or builds an executable file of what you programmed - Right?)

To answer any doubts about my previous programming/GD experience:
I know more about mesh, tiling, mixing 2D w/ 3D and skyboxes than I know about iostream or /include stuff :D
I've been through the GD Beginners Places, but I find (advance apologies if I'm being too blunt or rude) people in forums like this more helpful than an online article/webpage.
[Edit] I've had my share (2-4 years) of simple WYSIWYG programming (is it really considered programming?) I found that quite boring - its very limiting. 2-D (sometimes 3D) game engines like The Game Maker (by Mark Overmars) are really only worth for 2d games like tetris or scrolling shooters (no offense)

Anyways, thanks for all your help, people. Python, DX, mess around, practice.
D▪J▪ П◦3◦X™
Hey, Big Bright Idea from the Big Noob. :)
If I were to actually start a good team with a good game in mind, I suppose I could stick with, perhaps, audio/sound or graphics art, and leave the programming stuff to more experienced people. Right?

I suppose there is a certain amount of fun and respect in mastering different programming languages.
D▪J▪ П◦3◦X™
Quote:
Anything missed out here?

Not to be too critical, but it seems like you're missing quite a bit still.
Steps 4-7 are likely to be repeated a dozen+ times and even a few years is quite optimistic.

And directX is not a game programming language. It simply displays graphics, plays sounds... you'll still need to create the entirety of the game and almost all of the infrastructure of the game yourself.
Yup, I suppose practicing and (learning from)failing will probably be my most important and time consuming steps. But for the DX: I believe I make a game engine and map editor through DX, and then proceed with the actual building of the game (i.e. adding audio, video, objects, plot etc.) in the game engine/map editor. Right?
D▪J▪ П◦3◦X™
Yup, I suppose practicing and (learning from)failing will probably be my most important and time consuming steps. But for the DX: I believe I make a game engine and map editor through DX, and then proceed with the actual building of the game (i.e. adding audio, video, objects, plot etc.) in the game engine/map editor. Right?

Some people will tell you to do that.. although I highly disagree. If you want to make games I would pick up an existing engine like Ogre or Irricht and use it to make a game. Although if you are interested in building engines than learn to do that.

It is MUCH easier to learn to build an engine and editors once you have already worked with an existing engine and built a game, etc on top of one already. Because at that point you can drill down and really find out how things work and understand it a lot easier.
Hmm, advice taken. But to use existing engines/editors, you still need to learn programming right? Which language? I suppose it varies from engine to engine?
D▪J▪ П◦3◦X™
If I were to actually start a good team with a good game in mind, I suppose I could stick with, perhaps, audio/sound or graphics art, and leave the programming stuff to more experienced people. Right?

for the love of God, don't go into that mindset. People who can actually help you accomplish something won't jump on your project - good as it may be - unless you can actually show them a working test version. You need to convince them that you are capable.
"It's better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement