Got a Dream...Don't got Prog. Skills....

Started by
56 comments, last by DJ N3X 18 years, 9 months ago
If I may put my two cents in...

Step 1: Learn a language. Any language will due. My suggestion is learn c++.
I choose c++ due to its use of multiple programing paridigms**,
such as oop and structured programing.

Step 2: Learn a graphic API such as OpenGL or DirectX. Its your choose which
which you choose. OpenGL is cross platform DirectX is windows
only. Also DirectX makes input / audio programing easier. The
only exception to OpenGL is if you use SDL. You will learn about
all of this thru your search. BTW other peoples "engines" are
based off one o the two. And some known "game engines" aren't
game engines at all but simply graphic engines *cough* OGRE. But
you will learn that later on.

Step 3: Constantly program mastering your choose of language. You might realize
that your choose of language doesn't have the "tools" to do what
you want and you can easlily change languages. As the other
posters said, once you learn to program learning another language
is easy.

Step 4: Look at other people's source code. Get a feel for what it looks like
to program a game or a gaming engine. Look at the quake engine or
someone elses engine. This can give you some ideas and can also
further your development.

Step 5: Program Program Program. I can't stress that enough the more you
program the better off you will be. Program small apps and games.
Start small and work your way up to bigger and better. Pong, pacman
tetris, etc.

Step 6: Repeat steps 3 - 5. You will learn over time. There is no set time to
how long it takes to learn how to program or to learn a particular
language. But be realist in your goals, give yourself 2 or 3 years
before you can say your proficent with a language that you can do
most of "your" work. I'm not saying you can make DOOM 10 anytime
soon but that you can make your pacman that you can make your txt
game engine, you can make your new nethack with tile graphics.

GOOD LUCK

OH YEAH... u dont really have to learn DX or GL there are other routes as well. Especially for other languages. Learn about them in your search and enjoy.
Advertisement
Note: Read everything here. I took the time to write it, and it will greatly help you out.

I think I'm a really good example of how game programming comes into play with your life.

I've always wanted to make an online game. So what did I do??? I thought it would be so incredibly easy to just learn a language and make a game...wrong!!!

I've been LEARNING c++ for over a year now, and I'm still no where's near even attempting an online game.

Dude, languages take time. I'm a year into c++, and I code all day long, and I'm still not comfortable to make a game. Ya maybe a word processor or something, but as far as graphics, sound, and networking go, I have no idea where to start! Knowing a language like the back of your hand so you don't have to reference everything every time you don't know how to do something really helps, rather than not being so familiar with it that you have to keep looking stuff up. You think the game devs have books there telling them how to make a game... no!

So it's so much more than just learning a language and making a game. I thought once I learned the "hardest" language out there, c++, I'd easily make a game. Well, I was way too naive, and now I"m still trying to decide what to do to get started.

Game programming takes talent and creativity. You can't just "make" a game.

After all, imagine how hard it was to make halo 2. Remember how long it took to come out??? Even the first doom game took an incredible amount of time, because a DECENT GAME IS HARD TO MAKE.

Now there are so many books out there that explain good game making strategies on making games, but they will only put you so far.

Remember, it's what you can do with the language, not what the language can do for you, and you could learn every language out there and still not know how to make a game.
Quote:Original post by Gardon
Note: Read everything here. I took the time to write it, and it will greatly help you out.

I think I'm a really good example of how game programming comes into play with your life.

I've always wanted to make an online game. So what did I do??? I thought it would be so incredibly easy to just learn a language and make a game...wrong!!!

I've been LEARNING c++ for over a year now, and I'm still no where's near even attempting an online game.

Dude, languages take time. I'm a year into c++, and I code all day long, and I'm still not comfortable to make a game. Ya maybe a word processor or something, but as far as graphics, sound, and networking go, I have no idea where to start! Knowing a language like the back of your hand so you don't have to reference everything every time you don't know how to do something really helps, rather than not being so familiar with it that you have to keep looking stuff up. You think the game devs have books there telling them how to make a game... no!

So it's so much more than just learning a language and making a game. I thought once I learned the "hardest" language out there, c++, I'd easily make a game. Well, I was way too naive, and now I"m still trying to decide what to do to get started.

Game programming takes talent and creativity. You can't just "make" a game.

After all, imagine how hard it was to make halo 2. Remember how long it took to come out??? Even the first doom game took an incredible amount of time, because a DECENT GAME IS HARD TO MAKE.

Now there are so many books out there that explain good game making strategies on making games, but they will only put you so far.

Remember, it's what you can do with the language, not what the language can do for you, and you could learn every language out there and still not know how to make a game.

Well put. Very well put.
Quote:Original post by Benjamin Heath

Well put. Very well put.

Seconded. I too wanted my first game to be an MMORPG. I thought "hey, I'll go to Google, type in 'how to make an MMORPG', learn a little bit of coding, and I'll be a millionaire!". Oh, how far from the truth I was. I've been learning programming for several months now, and I'm *almost* at the point where I can make a cheap Pong clone. Start small, work your way up. It's been said a bajillion times before, it's been said now, and it needs to be said a bajillion more times.

Profile Signature:

------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Sorry if the following has already been posted, but i just sort of jumped around this thread.

First: Dont worry about engines yet. You wont need to use one until your into graphics programming. I suggest learning C++ because it is fairly easy (my opinion) and it is used on almost every game. Good tutorials for C++ can be found at cprogramming.com, but if you want to learn a different language, its your choice.

Second: After you get a good grasp on your language (remember, this may take many months, or even a year) learn an API (SDL, Allegro, OpenGL, DirectX). I myself am still a newbie and I started learning SDL about 5 months after I started programming. Good SDL tutorials: Cone3d and libsdl.

Third: PRACICE! Make small games/clones/mods. Experiment with what you know until you feel comfortable. Then, learn 3d graphics programming (DirectX/OpenGL)

hope this helps

NOTE: I've been programming for almost a year now and I'm still not into graphics programming, and dont plan on it for many more months/year(s).

printf("C++ 4 Lifen");

I'm a GL guy.
The previous posters have clearly come to the conclusion that it doesn't
just take a language and a good API to create a good game, it requires
dedication and initiative. (I should know, I started making this 2D game and left it halfway through. Really bad programmer habit)

Eventually, there will be a point in your programming career when you will have to
chose an API, either SDL, Allegro, DirectX, or OpenGL.
Since you seem to be interested in 3D programing, either DirectX or OpenGL will
do. Here is a quick way to chose.

You should learn OOP in any language. Then, see what you like better, OOP or procedural programming. If it is OOP then start DirectX, if it is procedural,
then I would go with OpenGL. Obviously, this method wouldn't work all the time.

Good luck with your game development path.

AcePilot
Your progress as a programmer will probably not be so linear. You'll have some twists and turns along the way that will change who and how you are as a programmer and a person.

When I started out, I chose to learn C++ and what Andre LaMothe taught about Win32 and DirectX. I don't remember why, but I gave those up in favor of learning more about Unix. Around that time, I learned SDL, which is very simple. After a while (I'm not sure how long), I decided that Unix is also pointless, and that all of these operating systems, these languages, and these programming paradigms are simply tools. They accomplish different things, and familiarity with some makes it easier to learn the rest. It was soon after - and very recently - that I decided that programming will not be a career for me, but nothing more than a hobby (I hate that word though). I decided there are more important things for me to do, and will be studying and training to become an architect and a firefighter come this fall.

So that's how I evolved, and it's not over yet. I think I'm having a good run, and hopefully you will, too.
Well thank you all for helping me out :). I guess this is gonna be a lot longer than I hoped LOL. OOP language, API & practice. Alright, then. Thanks again.

Peace,

- DJ NEX
D▪J▪ П◦3◦X™

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement