Question on "intro to algo" book or similar ones

Started by
4 comments, last by NickGeorgia 18 years, 9 months ago
Just wondering what kind of experience do you need to be able to read / learn this book on your own? I have had 2 semesters of college calculus so far but am unsure of what other background is needed, so I don't want to buy it if I wont be able to understand it. What are the prerequisites and how essential is it to get a book like that? Btw im talking about intro to algorithms by T. Cormen Also same question for the book "Concrete Mathematics", if anyone has read it. ty
Advertisement
I don't know much about that class but I always found a book like this to be helpful at the start of my college career. Unless of course, you know a lot already about proving.
Mathematical proof of algoritms in SE are probably needed if you are to develop mission critical software or security related software as part of your documentation.

I am not sure it is needed in game development mainly because it is an added cost.
It's up to you, but proving things is important in a lot of things including games in my opinion. You need to know if you are doing things efficiently (i.e. how many calculations does this sorting routine take compared to another) and understand the problem you are trying to solve (is it a NP hard problem, are my physics models stable, etc.)? I think the algorithms course will require you to do a little proving if it's any good. If you open up a CS journal paper now and then you will see a proof. It would help your understanding if you knew how to prove yourself. Like I said, it's just a suggestion... might help with your math courses as well.
Quote:You need to know if you are doing things efficiently (i.e. how many calculations does this sorting routine take compared to another) and understand the problem you are trying to solve (is it a NP hard problem, are my physics models stable, etc.)?

hmm....actually...a SE only need to make sure she complies with the specs defined in the contract(response times and so on).

Proving that she has come up with the right solution and she has understood the problem correct, could be done by using TDD and submitting the testsuits as proof in documentation.

Mike, I know you rule Bartertown, but if you persist, I will have to prove your non-existance and we don't want that do we? hehehe just kidding man. We just disagree on this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement