Sign in to follow this  
Jacob Roman

Dance Dance Revolution BPM [RESOLVED]

Can anyone help me on how the velocity of the arrows move based on beats per minute (BPM) in Dance Dance Revolution? I'm making a DDR clone, and pretty much stuck at this point. Thanks in advanced. Just to help with this, I ripped off the arrows directly from my PS2 that I had hooked into my computer. So the arrows are 60x65 in a 640x480 resolution. [Edited by - Jacob Roman on July 7, 2005 6:12:19 PM]

You will have to be much more precise in your question if you want something more than a raw piece of code or equivalent. You can find a good number of DDR clones on the net. Some of them may be opensource...

But anyway, velocity does not move but rather 'makes move' (rate of change in position per unit of time). Your question does not make much sense as it is.

Oh I'm sorry. I was more expecting a formula of some sort. Yes I'm using Time Based Movement, but based on the size of the arrow and how many times the middle of the arrow will hit a certain Y position on screen. Everytime it does, it will equal a beat. And it will hit it a number of times per minute. Like for example, every half second will equal one beat, and after one minute, will equal 120 BPM. Only problem is getting the arrows to scroll at that speed exactly. I'll look out for the DDR clones if I can find any.

Have you looked at Stepmania? It's open source.

As far as your specifici problem, arrow size has nothing to do with it. What you need is to decide how many pixels high a beat is lets call it PPB). The scrolling speed is just going to be PPB*BPM pixels/minute.

Take a look in the Articles archive on Gamedev.net and there's an article about how to algorithmically measure the BPM from an mp3.

I figured it out on my own. And it turns out that the arrow size did come into play. Heres the formula:

Arrow_Speed = BPM * Arrow_Height / 60 seconds

I simply offseted where the beat was gonna be made by subtracting by 65's (my Arrow_Height) until it reached where I wanted it to be. Works flawlessly now. Thanks for your help.

That Stepmania game is pretty addicting. Looks like DDRMAX2 only the Japanese version.

Quote:
Original post by Jacob Roman
I figured it out on my own. And it turns out that the arrow size did come into play. Heres the formula:

Arrow_Speed = BPM * Arrow_Height / 60 seconds

I simply offseted where the beat was gonna be made by subtracting by 65's (my Arrow_Height) until it reached where I wanted it to be. Works flawlessly now. Thanks for your help.

That Stepmania game is pretty addicting. Looks like DDRMAX2 only the Japanese version.

For some reason I doubt you are listening, but that equation is wrong. Arrow speed mods are a quick example of this, ,the arrow size has nothing to do with BPM. And please believe me, I actually am a Stepmania developer.

As far as the look of Stepmania, that is just the default theme. You can download different themes to make it look like any version of DDR, plus a ton of custom work people have done. It can also play other game styles, like Pump It Up and Para Para Paradise.