Sign in to follow this  
LostSource

How to list all the .txt files in a folder?

LostSource    199
I'm currently working on a level editor in ascii, which is coming along good. But I've ran into a rather large problem. This is my problem: When the user clicks on the console where it says "Load Level", I have a menu pop up that will list all of the level .txt documents in the Level Editor folder. I was wondering how would I be able to generate a list of all the .txt files in a folder? For example: Say we have a folder named "Level Editor" with levelA.txt and levelB.txt and levelC.txt and the program doesn't know how many files are in the folder. For all it knows their could be 1 or 20 .txt files in the "Level Editor" folder. How would the program be able to provide a list of all the .txt files in the folder to the user/player? So on the screen it would show the user and the user would click on the file name. This part I can do, I just can't get the program to list all the .txt files in the folder. [rough draft idea] Please click on the level you would like to load ------------------------------------------------ levelA.txt levelB.txt levelC.txt [eof rough draft idea] Thank you ahead of time for all/any help!

Illco    928
Which system? On Windows you can use FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile() -- see MSDN for how they work. On cross-platform I think the boost library will supply such things, but then again I don't know anything about boost so I'll pass on that one.

Greetz,

Illco

PS: made a link to MSDN.

LostSource    199
Its on Windows, and I've tried looking in to using _finddata_t and _findfirst() but I didn't have to much luck... = / Maybe I should give it a second look...?

Edit: I'm using C++ and the compiler if it matters is C++.NET

Toolmaker    967
I am assuming you're using Windows, but I could be totally wrong. In case you're using Windows, hang thight. In case you're not, you can either turn off the internets, or read along.

The following code is platform-specific for Windows:

#ifndef _WIN32_FILESEARCH_H_
#define _WIN32_FILESEARCH_H_

#include <string>
#include <windows.h>

using std::string;

class CFileSearch
{
public:
CFileSearch():m_hHandle(INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {}
CFileSearch(const string& strSearch)
{
Search(strSearch);
}

// Search
// Does a search and stores the result. Will return false on error
bool Search(const string& strSearch)
{
m_bHasNext = true;

m_hHandle = FindFirstFile(strSearch.c_str(), &m_hSearchResult);
if (m_hHandle == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
m_bHasNext = false;

return m_bHasNext;
}

// GetNext
// Places the next return value in strResult. Will return false when there is no
// new result
bool GetNext(string &Result)
{
if (!m_bHasNext)
return (false);

Result = m_hSearchResult.cFileName;
m_bHasNext = FindNextFile(m_hHandle, &m_hSearchResult) ? true : false;

return (true);
}

private:
HANDLE m_hHandle;
WIN32_FIND_DATA m_hSearchResult;
bool m_bHasNext;
};

#endif

Using this code:

string path = "c:\\leveleditor\";
string result;

cout << "Current directory: " << path << endl;
CFileSearch search(path + "*.txt");
while (search.GetNext(result))
{
cout << result << endl;
}

This is some old code, so it MIGHT contain some errors, but you'll manage I hope. Otherwise you know where the find me(Hint: pm).

Toolmaker

LostSource    199
Thank you everyone and thank you so much Toolmaker! The code still works and it works good! And it gave me a good reference to look at. Now I'm going to go and try to go code something that works like it, so I can learn how to do it and impleament it in my level editor. I also need to go do some research/reading on "FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile()".

Thank you so much again everyone!

Deyja    920
The boost::filesystem library presents a much nicer interface than the win32 api or posix, and gives you portability to boot.