How to list all the .txt files in a folder?

Started by
6 comments, last by Deyja 18 years, 9 months ago
I'm currently working on a level editor in ascii, which is coming along good. But I've ran into a rather large problem. This is my problem: When the user clicks on the console where it says "Load Level", I have a menu pop up that will list all of the level .txt documents in the Level Editor folder. I was wondering how would I be able to generate a list of all the .txt files in a folder? For example: Say we have a folder named "Level Editor" with levelA.txt and levelB.txt and levelC.txt and the program doesn't know how many files are in the folder. For all it knows their could be 1 or 20 .txt files in the "Level Editor" folder. How would the program be able to provide a list of all the .txt files in the folder to the user/player? So on the screen it would show the user and the user would click on the file name. This part I can do, I just can't get the program to list all the .txt files in the folder. [rough draft idea] Please click on the level you would like to load ------------------------------------------------ levelA.txt levelB.txt levelC.txt [eof rough draft idea] Thank you ahead of time for all/any help!
Advertisement
Which system? On Windows you can use FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile() -- see MSDN for how they work. On cross-platform I think the boost library will supply such things, but then again I don't know anything about boost so I'll pass on that one.

Greetz,

Illco

PS: made a link to MSDN.
What uhh programming lanugage are you using?
What we do in life... Echoes in eternity
On a Posix system (Linux,BSD,etc) you use opendir, readdir, closedir.
Its on Windows, and I've tried looking in to using _finddata_t and _findfirst() but I didn't have to much luck... = / Maybe I should give it a second look...?

Edit: I'm using C++ and the compiler if it matters is C++.NET
I am assuming you're using Windows, but I could be totally wrong. In case you're using Windows, hang thight. In case you're not, you can either turn off the internets, or read along.

The following code is platform-specific for Windows:
#ifndef _WIN32_FILESEARCH_H_#define _WIN32_FILESEARCH_H_#include <string>#include <windows.h>using std::string;class CFileSearch{public:    CFileSearch():m_hHandle(INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {}    CFileSearch(const string& strSearch)    {        Search(strSearch);    }    // Search    // Does a search and stores the result. Will return false on error    bool Search(const string& strSearch)    {        m_bHasNext = true;        m_hHandle = FindFirstFile(strSearch.c_str(), &m_hSearchResult);        if (m_hHandle == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)            m_bHasNext = false;        return m_bHasNext;    }    // GetNext    // Places the next return value in strResult. Will return false when there is no    // new result    bool GetNext(string &Result)    {        if (!m_bHasNext)            return (false);        Result = m_hSearchResult.cFileName;        m_bHasNext = FindNextFile(m_hHandle, &m_hSearchResult) ? true : false;        return (true);    }private:    HANDLE m_hHandle;    WIN32_FIND_DATA m_hSearchResult;    bool  m_bHasNext;};#endif

Using this code:
string path = "c:\\leveleditor\";string result;cout << "Current directory: " << path << endl;CFileSearch search(path + "*.txt");while (search.GetNext(result)){    cout << result << endl;}

This is some old code, so it MIGHT contain some errors, but you'll manage I hope. Otherwise you know where the find me(Hint: pm).

Toolmaker

Thank you everyone and thank you so much Toolmaker! The code still works and it works good! And it gave me a good reference to look at. Now I'm going to go and try to go code something that works like it, so I can learn how to do it and impleament it in my level editor. I also need to go do some research/reading on "FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile()".

Thank you so much again everyone!
The boost::filesystem library presents a much nicer interface than the win32 api or posix, and gives you portability to boot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement